Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

May i ask a question regarding my 14yr old daughter In June

Hi there, may i ask...
Hi there, may i ask a question regarding my 14yr old daughter
In June 2012 she has surgery for a suspected appendicitis, when the doctor opened her up she was found to have had her appendix severely adhered to her bowel with major stomach infection, this was treated first and then in Ocober 2012 she had an interval appendictomy. ever since then and especially over the last term she has had ongoing stomach pain in relation to her bowel movments, she also cannot participate in PE at her school as this causes stomach pain, when they removed her appendix ahe also has lesions that had to be removed also
do I need to look into this further
I would appreciate your feedback
6/21/2013
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Dr. Sohaib :

Hello and thank you for the question. Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Dr. Sohaib :

Has she been evaluated for the stomach pain? Is it associated with heart burn? Tested for possible stomach ulcers/reflux or H.Pylori infection in the stomach?

I have switched to Q & A mode since we could not communicate via chat.

Please answer the questions i have asked so that i proceed further towards and answer for you.

Hi There,

lower stomach, on the area where she had the surgery and spreads acroos to the other side also

the only medication given so far is the Gastrosmooth but I will ask for further treatment options for her if needed, so no to the above question

Thank you for the useful information Sharon.

It appears that the most likely cause for her pain is development of Adhesions, which are fibrotic bands which may form around the bowel loops following surgery.

This is a common condition which affects people who undergo extensive or complicated abdominal surgeries.

Unfortunately adhesions are difficult to pick up on routine investigations like X-rays.

MRI is a useful test to diagnose this, and if this fails to pick the surgeon may perform a laparoscopic diagnostic laparatomy during which he can diagnose and treat the adhesions (adhesionectomy) in one go.

Therefore, you should get back to her surgeon, discuss the details i have mentioned and get a management plan that suits best to her needs.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this does not sound serious at all. It is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor