Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

All the neurologists in my area disbelieve the possibility

of Lyme's disease damaging the...
all the neurologists in my area disbelieve the possibility of Lyme's disease damaging the brain yet I have an MRI with lesions all over it too many to count. What is you profession experience with Lyme's destroying brain tissue and what is the cure. How do oral or intravenous antibiotic pass the blood brain barrier?
would some kind of chemo be faster and more appropriate. After all, its been eight month for more damage to occur I feel I'm running out of time here. I'm already not who I was - I worry who I'll be at the end of this. Please help
6/21/2013
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Hi. My name is***** I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?
There are antibiotics that can cross the blood brain barrier and treat the central nervous system manifestations of lymes disease. These drugs are given by IV, not by mouth.
Chemo is not used for lymes; antibiotics are.
Here is an excellent article on lymes disease from a very trusted source that you may find helpful:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lyme-disease/DS00116
I, personally, have suffered from lymes so I know what you are going through.
Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS

Please advise on the top 5-10 Lyme's neurologists in continental US and hopefully someone that takes medicare. phone numbers too please. I know its a lot to ask but I don't know how to find this information

Did you have brain involvement with your Lyme's and was it long term or did you catch it early?

One of the Worlds experts on lymes disease is Dr. Gary Wormser.
Here is how you can contact him:
http://www.nymc.edu/People/Gary.P.Wormser/index.html
I studied under him many years ago.
He is whom I contacted when I had lymes.
Please don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for my -- as you might already know, the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push :)
Bonuses are also welcome and appreciated.
I hope you feel better soon.
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
As you can see, his Lymes center accepts most insurance, including (as you requested), medicare:
http://www.nymc.edu/LDDC/payment.html
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
I did not have CNS involvement, only mild headaches with severe joint disease.
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD