Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Hi doctor, you just answered my question about my bad cough.

Hi doctor, you just answered my question about my bad cough. Thank you for your answer! I have another question which may or may not be related. About 4 days ago, my doctor diagnosed me with bacterial conjunctivitis. Since then, the amount of discharge
is much better. I was wondering if the conjunctivitis could be related to my cold? I've heard that a symptom of viral conjunctivitis is a cold - does this mean I could have viral not bacterial?
Hello again,
Yes your conjunctivitis would be very likely to be related to your respiratory infection. Here again this can be viral or bacterial... If one eye was worse than the other other or a different time course then that would be suggestive if a bacterial cause. If you had benefit from antibiotic eye drops then this would suggest that an oral antibiotic may benefit your respiratory infection.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you! Best regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it true that viral conjunctivitis is more severe in symptoms? At this point, my eyes seem totally normal aside from a little discharge when I wake up in the morning.
Hello!
No viral conjunctivitis would not be more severe. If anything I would expect bacterial to tend to be worse but either could range from mild to severe.if your condition is improving then that would be the main thing I would say. For either viral or bacterial our own immune system is our main defense!
I hope this is helpful for you! Let me know if you have anything further! Best regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I normally wear contacts - I was wondering when it would be safe for me to put my contacts back in after my conjunctivitis is cleared ?
Hello again,
Yes it is safe to put in your contacts AFTER the conjunctivitis has cleared BUT not until!!!
I hope this helps! Let me know if I may be of further help! Take care!
Anthony Bray MD