Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Can you get a pulmonary embolism from a peripheral blood

draw from a butterfly needle?...
Can you get a pulmonary embolism from a peripheral blood draw from a butterfly needle?
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/20/2013
911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
911DOC :

Theoretically possible but would be reportable if it happened. Meaning, almost no chance whatsoever.

911DOC :

Standing by.

911DOC :

Almost all known cases are from PICC lines or deep central lines when considering the upper extremity.

Customer: So if they used a butterfly needle it is possible to get a pe from it?
911DOC :

but a butterfly hits a very superficial vein and the superficial veins, while they can certianly form clot, would have to have clot extension to a deep vein to even give one the possibility of this happening.

911DOC :

so I can't say definitely impossible, but I would bet a lot of money against it

911DOC :

I can't find any case reports of this and have never seen it.

911DOC :

standing by

Customer: What do you think the chances are of that happening? Do you think if I've had lots of repeated lab work in the past year it increases the risk???
911DOC :

no

911DOC :

why are you concerned about pulmonary embolus?

Customer: Well. I am anxious about most PE and heart related things since I got dx with pulmonary sarcoid a year ago. I am also am RN, so it is making me extremely hyper vigilant about it. And they said I have a blood clotting disorder that is specific usually to pregnancy, MTFHR. Just scared. I just had blood drawn and it hurt a little more than normal, and my chest feels tight so I get freaked out:((( I worry that by having my blood drawn I am going to end up with PE:(
Customer: What do you think the chances are of that happening?
911DOC :

almost zero from blood draws

911DOC :

your symptoms are probably 100% related to your anxiety

Customer: Sigh. Ok, thank you:( you think the chances are basically zero?
Customer: Hello?
911DOC :

yes

911DOC :

basically zero

911DOC :

would you like a Mayo Clinic reference to look at?

911DOC :

and can you tell me what kind of clotting disorder you have?

911DOC :

standing by

911DOC :

are you there?

911DOC :

I guess that what I would say is given your degree of anxiety about this it might be worth pursuing, but absent symptoms of PE it would be a waste of time and money.

911DOC :

standing by

911DOC :

are you there?

911DOC :

Ma'am, do you have further questions for me?

911DOC :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Thank you

You don't think there is any way??:(

Ma'am,

There may be one or two cases in the history of the world. Again, this would require a superficial clot which grew and extended into deep veins of the arm and then embolized. I can not find a case report of this ever happening. But since you are so worried I advise you to get checked. A d-dimer test, if negative, would give you some reassurance. But as worried as you are about this I wonder if this WOULD be reassuring to you. Without the symptoms of PE or any physical findings this is not something worth worrying about.

Best

I was actually on my way to urgent care and they just ran my ddimer which was .33, and when it's ever been ran before it has been .17- should I worry??:( scared.

that is a normal result. you should not worry or be concerned.

best

Last question... Why is it higher than it was when tested before? Is it completely variable?

Yes, and for that reason a normal value is anything, anything under 0.50. The d dimer, as you know, is an indicator of increased clotting IF abnormal. It does not diagnose PE, but it is helpful in a case such as yours when it is negative, which yours is.

best

Ok - thank you. You wouldn't worry?
no, not at all. not for a second.
911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
They said my troponin was borderline. I am freaking out
You honestly need to see a psychiatrist. A 'borderline' troponin, as you well know from being a nurse, is nonsense. It is a test to be interpreted given the whole clinical picture. Please, please, please see a mental health professional as soon as you can. You health related anxiety is completely controlling your life and no amount of reassurance from me, or from the lab tests or the doctors who are actually seeing you is able to calm you. You need to recognize this is a mental health problem, and not, by ALL the evidence and ALL the multiple tests, a medical problem.

Be well
The troponin was .03. You don't know me, how can you know that?:( I am sorry, I am scared.
911DOC
911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.