Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have exercise induced asthma and started working out with

a personal trainer. I have...
I have exercise induced asthma and started working out with a personal trainer. I have an inhaler and take singular each night. I still don't feel like it's getting better & notice that it's hard to breathe during certain exercises. Do you have any recommendations?
6/19/2013
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

Do you use Albuterol inhaler about 30 minutes prior to you exercising? This would be the recommended way to help control exercise induced asthma...

Anthony Bray MD :

Do you take the Singulair daily? This medicine helps to reduce the airway inflammation and reactivity....

Anthony Bray MD :

If you get over-heated then this will contribute to problems....

Customer:

Yes, I started using albuterol 30 mins prior and yes, singular is daily

Anthony Bray MD :

So it may in part mean taking breaks and not getting over-heated in part...

Anthony Bray MD :

You may need a steroid inhaler as well...

Anthony Bray MD :

Do you have trouble with asthma at other times or only in relationship to exercise??

Customer:

mainly with exercise but sometimes at night

Customer:

what is a steroid inhaler?

Anthony Bray MD :

What exercise seems to give you the main problems?

Anthony Bray MD :

That would be one that helps to reduce inflammation but it itself is not a bronchodilater >> Pulmicort would be an example....

Customer:

aerobic exercises the most

Anthony Bray MD :

There are also combination products witha long acting bronchodilator plus a steroid >> Advair is an example of that type >> Symbicort is another ...

Anthony Bray MD :

It sounds that follow up with your doctor would be helpful for you...

Anthony Bray MD :

I would advise that you check your peak flows and keep a record and share this information with your doctor...

Customer:

ok

Anthony Bray MD :

The peak flow patterns along with times and activity noted=s would help your doctor to fine tune your treatment strategy...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this is helpful for you!

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!

Anthony Bray MD :

If my responses have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be much appreciated! Thank You and Best Regards,'

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

Thanks. I used advair couple years ago but ended up stop taking it. Do you recommend this?

Customer:

Also, what dosage would be best?

Hello again,

Yes I think that Advair or a similar product such as Symbicort would probably be helpful for you to try and add back!!

This would be a good option to help you do better I think!

I hope this helps! Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

what do the different dosages mean (i.e 50mcg/500mcg, 50mcg/250mcg)

Hello again,

With Advair you would want to discuss this further with your doctor but you would probably want to start with trying the lowest dose first and see how you do.. the 100 /50 mcg dose twice a day is what I would recommend trying first with that product for example.

I hope that this helps! Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor