How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 46314
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in the Caribbean. My husband roasted cashews the

This answer was rated:

I live in the Caribbean. My husband roasted cashews the other day and we pealed and eat them. He also squeezed the juice from the cashew fruit and we drank it. We now have this growing itchy rash all over our bodies. I am not allergic to Poison Ivy. What is it and how can we treat it?
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

this could be an allergy type reaction to cashew nuts

or it could be a reaction to a food virus which could have also been in the nuts.

using benadryl (also called diphenhydramine) antihistamine is good safe medication to help decrease allergic symptoms. usually the dose is 25 to 50mg every 12 hours or so to help decrease histamine mediated allergy reactions. this can be used along with hydrocortisone 1% steroid cream and benadryl cream as well.

if these measures don't work in 2-3 days, you and your husband really need to see a doctor and get an evaluation and blood work to check for other causes of rash.

you then might need stronger prescription medicaitons like oral steroids or stronger steroid creams to help control the rash.
Dr. David and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you