Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am a 67 years old female, and for the last two years have

Hello: I am a 67 years...
Hello:
I am a 67 years old female, and for the last two years have been experiencing chest pain. It comes on suddenly, usually while doing something physical like climbing stairs or simply walking briskly.
My primary care physician sent me to a cardiologist because of the fact that my mother passed away with heart problems at an early age.
The cardiologist performed a nuclear stress test and thought she saw something and advised me to have an angiogram/heart cath. The result of that turned out to be nothing of concern, and ruled out any heart related and circulatory problems.
My primary care physician then sent me to a gastroenterologist, who performed an endoscopy. The results of that showed a small lesion in the esophagus and prescribed Nexium. This drug has been effective in controlling my heartburn, but has not controlled the chest pain.
Now to explain the chest pain. As I said, it comes on within minutes of exerting myself, and feels like a severe cramp in the right side of my chest bone, going into the breast cavity. I feel it all the way through to my back shoulder blade. As well as incredible pain, it causes my arms and hands to tingle, and makes it impossible to keep moving. Within minutes of resting, it has gone, only to come back again if I move too quickly.
I can only stay on a treadmill for 4 to 5 minutes, and am at a loss as what to do next.
My primary care physician has all but washed her hands of me since she doesn't know what to do for me next. I don't know if this is important, but I'll mention it anyway. I had a double mastectomy about 30 years ago and still have the silicone implants.
Joan
6/10/2013
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P Jyoti :

with negative stress test and negative angiogram cardiac causes are more or less ruled out

Dr. P Jyoti :

did the gastro do an ultrasound or ct of the abdomen?

Customer:

I don't believe so.

Dr. P Jyoti :

i believe these are important tests for you

Dr. P Jyoti :

conditions like gall bladder stone can cause such pain

Dr. P Jyoti :

other possibilities to rule out are pancreatitis, liver cysts, abscesses,

Dr. P Jyoti :

another simple possibility is that this is simply muscle cramp

Dr. P Jyoti :

muscle cramps can be precipitated by exercise

Dr. P Jyoti :

you should take care to keep yourself well hydrated as dehydration can often cause this

Dr. P Jyoti :

also have a lot of electrolyte fluids like Gatorade

Dr. P Jyoti :

apply warm compresses to the chest area at night

Dr. P Jyoti :

do gentle stretching exercises of the arms in the morning and night

Dr. P Jyoti :

also take Vitamin B and E which helps in such cramps

Dr. P Jyoti :

but do also discuss with your doctor about doing an Ultrasound or CT of the abdomen to rule out any abdominal pathology

Dr. P Jyoti :

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you

have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating.

Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

What kind of doctor would I see to check on the gall bladder?

Dr. P Jyoti :

your primary can do it

Dr. P Jyoti :

all you need is an ultrasound of the abdomen which your primary can prescribe for you

Dr. P Jyoti :

if some pathology is found, then you will need to be referred to a surgeon

Dr. P Jyoti :

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.

Thank you.

Customer:

Also, if it is a muscle cramp, which is what it actually feels like, then how do I work with this. Can a different type of excercise help.

Dr. P Jyoti :

yes, stretching exercises of the arms

Dr. P Jyoti :

do gentle stretching exercises of the arms

Dr. P Jyoti :

do once in the morning and once in the evening

Dr. P Jyoti :

stretch your arms out gently forward, backward, upward downward and to the sides

Dr. P Jyoti :

also rotate your arms gently in circles, first one way then the other

Dr. P Jyoti :

trick is to do it very gently and slowly

Dr. P Jyoti :

Dr. P Jyoti :

this will help your muscles to relax

Dr. P Jyoti :

you should get better with this

Dr. P Jyoti :

but do also discuss with your doctor about doing an ultrasound

Customer:

Thank you for your time. At least I something more to go on. I will check with my doctor on the ultrasound. Have a good day.

Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Dr. P Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please rate my service.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Customer:

No thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P Jyoti :

i notice you have not given a rating yet

Dr. P Jyoti :

do you have any further questions?

Dr. P Jyoti :

do you have any more questions?

Dr. P Jyoti :

I notice you have not rated my answer

Dr. P Jyoti :

Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD