How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Hasan Your Own Question
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 8621
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Hasan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have catarrh pretty pain...butcontinually

This answer was rated:

I have catarrh pretty pain...butcontinually "hawking" to clear my throat...hard pieces of nasal secretions drop into my throat.......bad breath issue. Also I have a VERY bad snoring problem.....very loud...disturbing to others.....what should I do?? BTW I am 63 yrs old, a female....

HI, Thanks for your question. My name is***** and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

Since how long exactly you have this?

Have you seen ENT doctor so far?

Any tests done?

Any medicine tried so far?

Any diagnosed medical problem?


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have not seen an ENT...I have had this problem as long as I can remember, even in childhood. The only medical problems I jhave are high blood pressure, high cholesterol, anxiety...all of which I take medicine.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I might also tell you mother also had this problem. A couple of brothers also....

Thanks a lot for your input. I am myself an Ear, nose and Throat (ENT) specialist and i deal with these problems daily. The cause of your symptoms as per your description is chronic sinus infection. It is usually associated with nasal allergies. Snoring is very commonly associated with these problems. But don't worry all this is treatable and once treated your quality of life will significantly improve. I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations over the counter available tab claritin once daily is advised. You should regularly take steam inhalation with menthol drops twice daily. There are over the counter nasal sprays but you cannot use them because of your high blood pressure problem. However what i have advised will help you in feeling better. Finally you need to see an ENT doctor who will do endoscopy of your nose and may get CT scan of your sinuses. He is likely to add steroid nasal spray and antibiotics for you. Most of the cases get treated with these measures but in few cases endoscopic sinus surgery is required. Having the same problem in your family means that allergy is likely in your case. But don't worry you are going to be fine, provided you see an ENT doctor. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan and 6 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am going to see an ENT...I should have done this long ago. Thank you for your help...

You are most welcome. You can always come back here to ask anything you want. I am myself an ENT too. Good luck and get well soon. Regards