Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I normally have a thyroid measurement of 2.2 but I have had

a virus and now it...
I normally have a thyroid measurement of 2.2 but I have had a virus and now it shows 5.56. Dr. has me on Synthroid but when I get better will the thyroid revert to a good number or will I be on the pills for the rest of my life? I am 74 years old.
Thank you.
Margaret T.
Mountain View, CA
6/5/2013
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi Margaret,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

The TSH level should be kept below 2.5 for adequate thyroid functioning.

Mysticdoc :

That means your synthroid dose should be increased till the level drops below 2.5

Mysticdoc :

Viral infection can throw the thyroid off balance.

Mysticdoc :

This should be temporary.

Mysticdoc :

Usually thyroid problem tends to be life long.

Mysticdoc :

But in some cases, you may not need thyroid medication after several months.

Mysticdoc :

THis will be decided by the periodic blood tests conducted by your doctor.

Mysticdoc :

The goal is to keep you active and minimize the symptoms.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Hi Margaret,
Mysticdoc : The TSH level should be kept below 2.5 for adequate thyroid functioning.
Mysticdoc : That means your synthroid dose should be increased till the level drops below 2.5
Mysticdoc : Viral infection can throw the thyroid off balance.
Mysticdoc : This should be temporary.
Mysticdoc : Usually thyroid problem tends to be life long.
Mysticdoc : But in some cases, you may not need thyroid medication after several months.
Mysticdoc : THis will be decided by the periodic blood tests conducted by your doctor.
Mysticdoc : The goal is to keep you active and minimize the symptoms.
Mysticdoc : Best wishes,
This is the link to my profile:

Hi Doctor,

Many thanks for the 'second opinion' which I found very helpful. I can use this as a basis to monitor my progress over the next few months.

I am wondering if I should be on a different medication as I have hot flashes, dry mouth, dizzynes, puffy eyes and general malaise. Will these side effects diminish as my body grows used to it?

Thank you.

Margaret

Synthroid is the best recommended medication to treat the thyroid problem.
The dose may need to be increased slowly and your body will gradually get used to the medication over 4 to 6 weeks.
Another possibility can menopause related symptoms.
That can be addressed with low dose estrogen if you do not have any history of blood clots or stroke or heart disease.
Alternately, low dose sertraline is another medication that is used to treat the hot flashes.
You can discuss these options with your doctor.
Best wishes
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist