Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

For 10 weeks now I save been suffering from headache and

Hi, for 10 weeks now I save been suffering from headache and head pressure accompanied by dizziness , my main problem is the pressure that feels like it is under my forehead and radiates through to te back if my head , this feels like my head is going to pop , this makes me very disorientated and unable to concentrate suck a heavy head feeling , I have been treated with 3 weeks if antibiotics and oral steroids for chronic sinusitis but my symptoms remain unchanged , I have also been tried on flixonase and centrizine for allergies however I have never suffered allergies upto now , this came on as a headache one day and never left , I have seen an ENT who says ears are clear blood pressure fine looked up my nose with camera and said no polyps or signs of sinus infection , I let's rally am at my wits end as I feel drunk all th time and the doctor seems to just give me another prescription for something else , the other symptom I had was a swollen gland that has gone down but not fully for 4 weeks and a loud crack in my ears when swallowing , I have no congestion or fever , can you possibly shed some light on this ?
Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am an ENT and can help you on this

Customer: Thank you
Dr. P Jyoti :

hello any tests done like CT scan of the sinuses?

Customer: No I have asked for this but nothing yet , I thought the ENT I seen would give me this
Dr. P Jyoti :

thats right

Customer: The ENT put a camera up my nose looked at all my sinus entries and down my throat
Dr. P Jyoti :

since your symptoms are still persistent I would advise a CT scan of the sinuses

Dr. P Jyoti :

thats right, thats the protocol, this test is necessary

Dr. P Jyoti :

but since your symptoms are not subsiding, i would advise a CT of the sinuses

Dr. P Jyoti :

inner sinuses are not visible by scope and a CT scan is important for this

Dr. P Jyoti :

your symptoms are the symptoms of chronic sinusitis

Customer: I said to my ENT that I have been advised I could have blocked sinus and She said if you did you would have sore sore pain and I don't I have pressure with odd pulse of pain
Dr. P Jyoti :

and i would consider this the main diagnosis

Dr. P Jyoti :

well, we would usually expect sore pain but its not a must

Dr. P Jyoti :

in milder cases there may not be this pain but only the symptoms that you are actually getting

Dr. P Jyoti :

so approach your ENT again and ask for a CT of the sinuses

Dr. P Jyoti :

a CT of the brain would also help to rule out any brain issues

Dr. P Jyoti :

meanwhile I can advise some general steps which will help with your symptoms

Dr. P Jyoti :

try these on for now but do go to the ENT at the earliest

Dr. P Jyoti :

Fluids: drink plenty of water.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Humidifier: use a humidifier in your room since drying of the sinuses can cause this.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Warm compresses: warm compresses on the sinus areas will give relief.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Vit. C supplement: 1000 mg Vit. C supplements daily (available OTC).

Dr. P Jyoti :

N- Acetyl Cysteine: this is a supplement available at natural food stores which helps drainage.

Dr. P Jyoti :

try out these steps

Dr. P Jyoti :

they will help you

Dr. P Jyoti :

but do see your ENT again at the earliest and discuss accordingly

Dr. P Jyoti :

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer: I feel right now no headache just like my head all round is pumped up , and the light head dizziness is quite bad , and te loud crack in both ears when swallowing is quite uncomfortable , I had 3 kinda good days before yesterday but today is back with avengance , I asked my doctor again yesterday and he was surprised they didn't want a ct of the sinuses
Dr. P Jyoti :

thats right, CT of the sinuses is most important

Dr. P Jyoti :

meanwhile try out the steps I mentioned above which will help

Dr. P Jyoti :

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer: My main worry is a brain tumour obviously as its out of character and so sudden and for so long ,
Dr. P Jyoti :

I wouldnt worry at all about this right now

Dr. P Jyoti :

since you are having a sinus infection, and your symptoms are all typical of sinusitis, there is no reason at all to think of a brain tumor

Dr. P Jyoti :

that would not be one of the things to consider at this stage - right now sinusitis is the thing to look for

Dr. P Jyoti :

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer: Would a brain tumour cause head pressure with ear cracking and no nasal congestion , my nose is clear and the pressure is in my whole head rather than just my forehead , I haven't had one bit of nasal discharge to date
Dr. P Jyoti :

It would not cause ear cracking

Dr. P Jyoti :

brain tumor would cause intense headache, not pressure, and there would usually be associated symptoms like vomiting, convulsions, etc

Customer: I have been using nasal rinse and humidifier for a number if weeks and after te steroids aswell I feel no better if anything slightly worse , I was just surprised my ENT said I it gets any worse go back to doctor but at the minute do nothing
Dr. P Jyoti :

so as you see, your symptoms are not at all typical of brain tumor

Customer: The only other thing is it gets alot worse and turns into a pulsing headache right above right eye when I play sport or excert my self
Dr. P Jyoti :

even then I do not see brain tumor- it looks like part of sinusitis

Dr. P Jyoti :

but since you are worried, you can ask your doctor for a CT brain

Customer: I also may add I had one doctor look into my eyes with an othalmosscope for a long time and said he was looking at vessels on back of eye and all were normal ?
Dr. P Jyoti :

thats good, that further goes against brain tumor since some types of brain tumors can often cause the veins to swell

Customer: My ENT said if this was sinusitis m, I've been on the maximum treatment for sinusitis and more or less washed her hands of me
Dr. P Jyoti :

you may go for a second opinion to another ENT

Dr. P Jyoti :

or ask your primary for a CT of the sinuses

Dr. P Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Customer: Just to ask what would cause the dizziness and back if head. Pain and pressure , if I didn't feel dizzy all te time I might not feel to terrible bad
Dr. P Jyoti :

as i said, this is most likely sinusitis and a CT of the sinuses is needed here

Dr. P Jyoti :

meanwhile take the steps I mentioned.

Dr. P Jyoti :

we are covering the same ground again

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer: Ok thank you for your knowledge
Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P Jyoti :

wish you the best

Dr. P Jyoti :

good night then

Dr. P Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please rate my service.