Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My wife injuried her rib cage after slaming it against a

My wife injuried her rib cage after slaming it against a couch arm 4 months ago.
She did not seek immediate attention until relocating with me several weeks ago.
She is in excruciating pain in her thorax area, lower left rib cage and into her side area.
We visited a family doctor and had xrays of the chest, no obvious problems.
A week late I took her to the local hospital for assistance, they took a cat scan no injuries detected. She continues to have intense pain, no relief or healing has occurred.
I took her back to the family doctor and he examined her putting her on Naoproxin and a muscle relaxer. Great, she sleeps better but still in extreme pain. He wants her to call back in a week. I have a problem with the amount of time it`s taking to diagnose her condition recognizing that it can be complicated.
Who can I reach out to, specialist wise that can help us with the trauma that she is experiencing.
I am not satisfied with the urgency or care that is being performed.
Please direct my efforts.
Thank you,
***** *****i
XXX-XXX-XXXX cell
RickMD :

Hi. My name is***** completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

RickMD :

Larry,

RickMD :

Cell phone numbers, email addresses etc are blocked by the system. I can only communicate with you through this page.

RickMD :

Are you available to chat/

RickMD :

?

Customer:

Yes,

RickMD :

Ok.

Customer:

XXX-XXX-XXXX

RickMD :

Well, from what you posted, and given the studies that your wife has already had, and the lack of relief of her symptoms I believe she may have damaged a very important part of the nerves to her arm

RickMD :

That was just all x's.....our fire wall blocks phone number etc. But we can communicate here.

RickMD :

Your wife may have traumatized/damaged her brachial plexus.

Customer:

Her left side rib cage is higher as well.

RickMD :

That goes along with this possibility.....

RickMD :

She must have taken a pretty severe fall....

Customer:

She has to hold below her breast continually to allow her to breath properly.

RickMD :

At this point, I think you should get her into a neurologist as soon as you can for evaluation of her pain, nerve function and anatomy.

Customer:

She slamed it into the arm of a couch when reaching for something?

RickMD :

Ouch :(

Customer:

Who can I see next?

RickMD :

I would have her see a neurologist next.

RickMD :

The sooner the better....she shouldn't have to suffer with this much pain for such a long time.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

No , I see her rib cage extended and the way she explains the pain, could it be that the shock of the force injured organs?

Customer:

Blood tests were also peformed, no results.

RickMD :

If she had done any significant damage to her internal organs that would have shown up on physical exam, the CT scans, and Xrays. Also if an organ were damaged that bad 4 months ago she would be in much worse shape at this point then just pain..

RickMD :

A broken rib(s) is possible, but that, once again, should have healed up by now on its own.

RickMD :

Are you still there?

Customer:

Yes I am concerned, obviously.

RickMD :

I understand.....

RickMD :

What other information can I give you today?

Customer:

I will pursue your recommendation.

Customer:

Thank you

RickMD :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS