How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Robert Your Own Question
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6680
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Robert is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is 89 and has had a PERSISTENT dry cough for two

This answer was rated:

My husband is 89 and has had a PERSISTENT dry cough for two weeks, day and night. Nothing seems to touch it.
Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information:-
What other known medical illness he is having?
Is there discomfort in breathing?
Has he consulted the doctor regarding this cough?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He's generally healthy. Has had a pacemaker for over 20 years. No discomfort in breathing. He has not been to doctor for it. His main complaint is fatigue and extreme weakness in his legs. He has also been taking some natural remedies like Vit C and Echinechea

Dear *****,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.
Dry coughs are treated with cough suppressants also called antitussives. Dextromethorphan, Diphenhydramine,codeine are the common one.Other cough suppressants include simple linctus, glycerin and lemon and honey, which coat and soothe the back of the throat.
As he is having persistent dry cough for last two weeks,he needs following tests:
-X-ray chest
-Sputum culture & sensitivity test
Antibiotics may be prescribed if the bacterial infection is confirmed.As he cant expel out the mucus,he needs broncho dilator medications and cortico steroids to reduce inflammation.Anti histamine medications may also be prescribed.
So for confirmation,I advice your husband to make an appointment with your pulmonary doctor to have these tests done so as to know the confirm underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you for your business!
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert and 5 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it but do not want to continue my subscription. There was no way to click on "off" under payment information so if you could take care of it, that would be helpful.

Thank you, Alice

Dear *****,
Thank you for the appreciation.
Your subscription issue has been forwarded to the moderarators of the website & you will be contacted soon.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert