Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am a 35 year old female with a history of Crohns Disease.

I am a 35 year old female with a history of Crohn's Disease. This morning I started vomiting multiple times (clear vomit, then yellow vomit). I am definitely not pregnant. The vomiting seems to have slowed down, but now I have these odd issues with my vision... floating objects, distorted vision field, etc. Could the vomiting and vision issues be related? Is this something serious?

RickMD :

Hi. My name isXXXXX completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

RickMD :

Do you have any other medical problems?

RickMD :

Is this in one eye only?

Customer:

Hi. I have a history of headaches, but no migraine issues. Also, no headache at all right now.

Customer:

It is in both eyes.

RickMD :

How long ago did these visual issues start?

Customer:

About 1 hour ago. The vomiting started about 2 hours ago.

RickMD :

If it was in one eye I would be concerned that the vomiting might have caused some bleeding inside your eye.....it would be very, very unlikely to have caused this to happen in both eyes.

Customer:

Good to know.

RickMD :

The most likely cause is an aceophalgic migraine visual aura brought on the by vomiting.

RickMD :

As you probably know, many things can bring this on.

RickMD :

The visual issues should resolve in an hour or so on their own.

RickMD :

Here is some information on this issue:

RickMD :

What you are describing is consistent with ocular migraines, a condition that I not only treat in my office but that I have been dealing with personally for decades.

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon WITHOUT the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects.

There was one time, I was in the middle of a very delicate retina operation, when an attack started. After a few moments I lost most of my central vision and the inferior part of my visual field. I, calmly, removed my surgical instruments from the patients eye and we all sat around in the OR for 15 minutes until my vision returned. Other than that my ocular migraines have not really caused me any significant problems :o)

Customer:

Ok. Thanks for the information. Good to know it's nothing serious.

Customer:

Sorry to hear you have had to deal with these also. No fun!

RickMD :

Ya...after all these years I guess I am used to it :)

RickMD :

I hope you are done throwing up....I hate doing that more then just about anything else.

Customer:

Kind of like me being used to the Crohn's Disease. :)

RickMD :

But, as a guy, I hate being sick in general....unless my wife is there to wait on me hand and foot lol!

Customer:

So far it has been about 30 minutes without throwing up.

Customer:

LOL! My husband is the same way.

RickMD :

My step sister has crones...been much better on remicade

RickMD :

but she is just one surgery away from short bowel syndromes....

RickMD :

sorry about the typo's above :(

RickMD :

Is there anything else I can do for you this morning?

Customer:

So far mine has been pretty good. Been on steroids off and on, but usually Imuran keeps it quiet.

RickMD :

ya. Crohn's would not be a good disease for the male of our species to deal with ;)

Customer:

No problem.

Customer:

I don't have any more questions. Thanks again for your help!

RickMD :

My pleasure. I hope you feel better soon. Take care.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

Thanks.