Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Off and on neck pain. A dull pain Deep in neck. The pain is

not real bad but I...
Off and on neck pain. A dull pain Deep in neck. The pain is not real bad but I can't really pinpoint where its coming from. Very scared about neck or throat cancer. Someone please help.
5/23/2013
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Neck and/or throat cancer does not usually cause pain. They cause dry cough, difficulty in swallowing or a feeling of something stuck in the throat.

A pain in the neck that is difficult to pinpoint is likely to be due topharyngitis - inflammaiton of the mucus membrane of the pharynx. The pharynx is the tube in the neck through which air reaches the lungs. Inflammation here can cause a deep, indeterminate pain.

Please gargle with warm salt water and take ibuprofen tablets. If you see no improvement in 2 days, please consult a doctor . You may need antibiotics.

I hope this helps.
Doc, I suffer from health anxiety. I am really scared. I used to use smokeless tobacco. I used it for 13yrs. I have been clean for 3 months. Would cancer be rare for my age even with my history of tobacco? I just had a cancer exam from my dentist and I had a CBC and thyroid test done by my doc. Everything was normal. Do u think I'm OK?
James,

You are Ok.

Although cancer is not exactly unkonwn at your age, it is more common at around 50 years. And your symptoms do not correlate with cancer. Plus, since the doctor examined you and declared you fine, you have no cause for concern.

I hope that helps.
Would I probably have a large node if it were cancer? Would my blood work have been abnormal and do you think the dentist would have spotted something if it were cancer?
Nodes in cancer occur quite late and byt hat time you would have a number of symptoms like cough, difficulty in swallowing etc.

No, your blood work would not have been abnormal but the dentist would have spotted the cancerous area.
I probably wouldn't be having pain if it were cancer? Could this be a neck issue like a nerve? IS having to clear my throat sometimes the samething as a hoarse voice. Are you concerned about anything I have told u?
you would not have pain if you had cancer.

Although a nerve problem cannot be ruled out, it is probably just a mild infeciton.

No, having the clear the throat sometimes is not the same as a hoarse voice. It is even more suggestive of an infection.

No, none of your symptoms seem concerning to me.
Last questions doc. Could this be me over reacting from anxiety? Are you saying pain is a good sign for not being cancer? If I stay clear of tobacco , do u think I have a good chance to be ok in the future? Have you seen many throat cancers and what would be the # 1 sign? Thanks for your help
Did my last question go through?
james, this is an overreaction due to anxiety. having pain is actually a good sign that you do not have cancer. And yes, if you stay away from tobacco, your risks of getting cancer go down.

Yes, I have seen a number of cases of throat cancer and the first sign is usually the patient saying that they have a sensation that something is sticking in their throat whoich they cannot swallow.
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Doc. One more question. The pain seems to come and go. Does this mean anything to u?
a pain which come and goes is symptomatic of an inflammation. The pain will occur every time the inflamed tissue moves when you breathe or eat or do anything active.
you think the inflammation is from a minor infection? Every now and then my ear also feels weird. This still doesn't alarm u?
No, that does not alarm me - every symptom you mention points more and more to an infection.

The ear feeling weird is because of a slight blockage of the eustachian tube - a tube that connects the ear of teh throat. Blockage will cause air pressure to build up in the ear and for it to feel weird.
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor