Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have been experiencing some weird pains in my throat. I

Hey doc. I have been experiencing some weird pains in my throat . I can't really pinpoint the pain. Its probably all in my head , but I was just wondering would if it were throat cancer would I have more symptoms? Its just a weird feeling in my throat. No swollen nodes
DR HASAN : HI, Thanks for your question. My name is***** and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also.
DR HASAN : I a grateful for your trust in me.
DR HASAN : I would like to reassure you that this cannot be cancer.
DR HASAN : i am giving you a straight away answer with confidence because throat cancer never starts with pain.
DR HASAN : There has to be other symptoms like progressive difficulty in swallowing, change in voice etc initially.
DR HASAN : Pain is the last symptom to develop as it occur secondary to the nerve involvement.
DR HASAN : So please don't stress yourself.
DR HASAN : This feeling that you are having can be because of either GERD or simple pharyngitis.
DR HASAN : OTC tylenol can help you.
DR HASAN : But forget throat cancer.
DR HASAN : Please enter the chat to proceed.
Customer: Hey doc U there?
DR HASAN : yes
DR HASAN : have you read my answer?
Customer: Yes sir. Sorry had internet problems. Do u think anxiety can cause phantom pains?
DR HASAN : It's ok.
DR HASAN : Anxiety is not likely to cause this pain.
Customer: Would my blood work have been off if I had cancer?
DR HASAN : Yes to some extent but usually blood work up is not something to diagnose throat cancer.
Customer: Are throat cancers silent killers like lung cancer or are they symptomatic?
DR HASAN : No it's not a silent killer because symptoms show up quite early.
DR HASAN : The symptoms include difficulty in swallowing, swollen nodes, change in voice etc
Customer: So having to clear my throat and a hoarse voice are 2 different things. Cause I have to clear my throat alot
Customer: Fright?
DR HASAN : Clearing throat again and again is not related to cancer for sure.
DR HASAN : It can be because of sins drainage or acid reflux.
DR HASAN : Sinus drainage.
Customer: Is throat cancer fairly rare
DR HASAN : Not so rare but yes at your age, its rare.
Customer: So I would probably have a swollen node
Customer: Right
DR HASAN : No why
DR HASAN : you don't have a swollen node.
Customer: No I mean if it were cancer I would probably have a swollen node
DR HASAN : Yes
DR HASAN : you are right. In case of cancer in throat, nodes are usually there.
Customer: Who usually gets throat cancer? Age group?
DR HASAN : usually more than 50.
DR HASAN : but that's not a rule, anyone can get it.
DR HASAN : But you don't have this for sure.
Customer: OK doc thanks
DR HASAN : You are most welcome, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.
DR HASAN : Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey doc, I'm still kinda scared about throat cancer. Do u think me having a dull pain in my neck is a good sign its not cancer?
Hi, thanks for your question. As i said earlier that remember one thing, if there is a painful lesion, cancer is not likely at all. So yes having a dull pain is a good sign that it's not cancer. Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is usually the first sign of throat cancer and do you think when I went to the dentist the other day that he would've have noticed something in my throat if I had cancer?
James ofcourse he should have seen cancer because cancer presents in throat in the form of an ulcer or in the form of mass lesion. Neither your symptoms nor your doctor's visit indicate anything about cancer so please don't stress yourself. You are just getting stressed otherwise you are fine. Regards