Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified.
65718478

After eating a sushi meal approx 6 weeks ago I had horrible

After eating a sushi meal approx 6 weeks ago I had horrible abdominal discomfort. 2 days later I stayed home from work and in bed all day with horrible abdominal discomfort (I never stay home from work and stay in bed!) I could not eat, my stomach would not accept food nor did I feel the need for food.
My stools changed since then. My stools have become very thin and soft, fluffy, and I never feel like I am cleaned out.
Any thoughts??
Hello, this is Dr K99. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a Dr/patient relationship. Please consult your Dr for medical advice.

There are several concerns regarding sushi and infection.

1. Anisakis or other parasitic worm infection. This causes abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting within hours of eating sushi, it can be mistaken for appendicitis. Medication can be used to treat mild cases but surgery is sometimes necessary to remove the worms.

2. Vibrio species of bacteria that causes abdominal pain, fever, chills, nausea and vomiting. It is usually self limiting meaning it goes away on its own.

If you have been sick this long, it is a good idea to seek medical attention with your general Dr or a specialist in gastroenterology. Best of luck.
Thank you