How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Das, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2258
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Das, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am suffering from losse stools, and abdominal cramps, the

This answer was rated:

I am suffering from losse stools, and abdominal cramps, the results of my stool test said the following:
Mircoscopic: Entamoeba histolytica cysts and trophozoites seen. with WBC=1-15/hpf & RBC = 2.5/hpf

Culture: growth of commesal flora observed

Any chance someone can explain what this means assuming i know nothing about the above other than its some kind of prasite.

Thanks John

Welcome and thank you for your question.

The stool report indicates that you are suffering from infection by an ameba known as Entamoeba histolytica. This ameba enters the body with water or food and causes intestinal infections - symptoms being abdominal cramps, diarrhea and usually mucus in the stools.

Commensal flora is bacteria normally presnet in the gut and is not significant.

Treatment is with medicines like Metronidazole or Tinidazole. It clears up quite well.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Das, MD and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you