Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have got an uncle that smoke a lot and live in China with

a lot of air pollution...
I have got an uncle that smoke a lot and live in China with a lot of air pollution. So I am interested to know how are emphysema and chronic bronchitis generally diagnosis and treated?
when he comes back to the US, he would go get a check up. So what can he expect on the tests that he might be taking. And what kind of drugs are commonly used for such treatments?
5/17/2013
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Welcome here and thank you for your question.
I am Dr.Robert & will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-
Is he having any symptoms now?
Has he undergone any tests so far?
Is your uncle having any other known medical illness?
I am waiting for your reply.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
he has not gotten tested or taken any treatment yet. We plan to do that when he gets back in a couple of months.
for now, we are just looking for some general info.
btw, I think he may show slight symptoms for emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
Dear *****,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.
The condition is called as COPD(Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) also called chronic obstructive airway diseases (COAD).It includes two conditions chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
Its most common cause is smoking.Infact COPD is almost always caused by cigarette smoking.The damage already done to his airways cannot be reversed, but if he will stop smoking and change his climate(pollution free),this will prevent the disease from getting much worse.This will slow the damage to his lungs.
When the damage to lungs is severe, it may become difficult to get enough oxygen into the blood and to get rid of excess carbon dioxide.These changes lead to shortness of breath and other symptoms.
He may need following tests:
-X-ray chest
-Bronchoscopy
-Laryngoscopy
-Other blood tests
Following is the best treatment of emphysema and chronic bronchitis that includes:
-Short & long acting bronchodilator inhalers.Short-acting bronchodilators last about 4–6 hours and should be used only when needed. Long-acting bronchodilators last about 12 hours or more and are used every day.
-Long-acting beta agonists like salmeterol, formoterol.Short-acting beta agonists include albuterol, levalbuterol
-Broncho dilator medications
-Steroids have anti-inflammatory properties & reduce the swelling of alveoli.
-Medicines that makes the sputum less thick and easier to cough up,antibiotics.
The best combination of medication will be prescribed by your doctor after tests & clinical examination and considering various factors.So
As he has not been tested so far,so I advice for your uncle to make an appointment with a pulmonary doctor for the tests & examination & hence the best combination of medications will be prescribed accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you for your business!
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
thanks.
re: reversing damage to lung
I was recommended by a health professional here prevoiusly that daily consumption of a slightly higher amount of Vit C and E, with a supplement containing N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC) can help. but I guess this is just some sort of home remedy or is this supported by doctors as well?
I also just found this product online. Aclidinium bromide. it seems to be the next generation medication. is it mentioned as one of hte medicine in your above categories.
Dear *****,
Thank you for your follow up question.
N-acetyl cysteine comes from the amino acid L-cysteine.When taken orally,NAC is thought to help the body make the enzyme glutathione, which is a powerful antioxidant.
It is not a medicine but a supplement that can help in healing.
Aclidinium bromide is a long-acting, inhaled muscarinic antagonist approved as a maintenance treatment for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
It is indicated for the long-term, maintenance treatment of bronchospasm associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
It is not mentioned in my previous post.It can be prescribed by your doctor accordingly.
Hope this helped.
Thank you for your business!
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
in your opinion, is N-acetyl cysteine potentially good for reversing the damage to the lung?
and do you think also taking Vit C and E can also help potentially reversing damage to the lung?
Dear *****,
Thank you for your follow up question.
The damage already done to his airways is difficult to be reversed.
The first & most important thing is that he should stop smoking first.this will prevent the disease from getting much worse.This will slow the damage to his lungs.
It helps in preventing the complications of lung disease (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, COPD).
There is significant evidence vitamin E can protect against lung disease.
Take vitamin C - 500 to 1,000 mg three times a day, vitamin E - 400 to 800 iu a day, make sure it has mixed tocopherols, selenium - 200 mcg a day, and CoQ10 - 10 to 50 mg three times a day.
All these are antioxidants that fight and block damage to the lungs that smoking cigarettes & other things have caused.
All this will help him greatly in reversing damage to the lung.
Hope this helped.
Thank you for your business!
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
ok thanks. sorry one last confirmation.
does N-acetyl cysteine also have significant evidence like Vit E, C and CoQ10 for this application? or is it more of a marketing ploy...
Dear *****,
Thank you for your follow up question.
Studies have shown that NAC(N-acetyl cysteine) can break up trapped mucus and enhance its clearance from the bronchial passages, thereby improving the flow of air in and out of the lungs in people with COPD.
Other studies have shown that patients have taken NAC had improved lung function and exercise endurance, and were able to inhale and exhale more air.
Bot***** *****ne is that N-acetyl cysteine is very effective for COPD patients as revealed in many studies.
Hope this helped.
Thank you for your business!
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Hi Tony,
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Have your uncle quitted smoking?
Has he started taking NAC(N-acetyl cysteine) & other supplements?
Let me know,
Dr.Robert
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor