Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I am a 55 year old woman. I have pain in my lower stomach.

I am a 55 year old woman. I have pain in my lower stomach. Woke up this morning with diarrhea now thought I had gas and when I passed gas blood and mucus came out. Still am having cramps in my stomach.
DR HASAN :

HI

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your question. My name is***** and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

Do you have fever?

Customer: No
DR HASAN :

Was that fresh blood or was mixed with stool?

Customer: Just blood and mucus. No stool
DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot for your input.

DR HASAN :

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Customer: Thank you
DR HASAN :

As per symptoms this is bacterial gastroenteritis or colitis.

DR HASAN :

I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations drinking Gatorade is essential to maintain the fluid and electrolyte balance. Moreover pepto bismol twice daily can be continued.

DR HASAN :

You should be on BRAT diet, this means banana, rice, apple sauce & toast.

DR HASAN :

You need to see your doctor too because you need antibiotics.

DR HASAN :

you may need a stool culture too.

Customer: Ok What is this caused from?
DR HASAN :

But till you visit your doctor, you should follow the above suggestions as these are general measures and should be continued even after the antibiotics. Moreover antibiotics should be started as early as possible so visit to urgent care at least is required.

DR HASAN :

As far as cause is concerned, as i said it is bacterial. The infection can come from your food in most cases.

DR HASAN :

Even from water.

DR HASAN :

Sometime low immunity plays a role in contracting these infections.

Customer: Ok thank you. That could be true just lost my husband to cancer so my immunity is probably low.
DR HASAN :

You are most welcome. I am so sorry to hear about your husband but that can't lower your immunity directly but yes stress can play some role. But don't worry you will be fine soon. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.

Customer: Thank you!
DR HASAN :

You are welcome.