How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65274
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How are you today? I have a relatively simple question, I

This answer was rated:

Hello Dr Thomas - how are you today? I have a relatively simple question, I believe, today.
My mother was told she has an enlarged liver. She has never, ever been a drinker - and I guess I assumed liver issues usually come from alcohol abuse.
Could you please tell me what an enlarged liver stems from - and also, if they wish to do a biopsy: what this entails?
Welcome back.
In fact in most cases if blood tests are normal, this is non-alcohol fatty liver.
An ultrasound and follow up are all that is needed if screens for hepatitis, hemochromatosis, autoimmune hepatitis are negative, and these only need be done if there are elevated liver enzymes in most cases.
So the treatment is weight loss if indicated, a more vegetarian diet, and follow up.
OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
DrRussMD and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you