Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm 48 years old, I'm 5"5 and 215 pounds i have been working

hi there I'm 48 years...
hi there I'm 48 years old, I'm 5"5 and 215 pounds i have been working hard lately and for at least one week My ankles are swollen and sore!
uncomfortable pain !!
corinne
5/7/2013
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-
Do you have pain and swelling in both ankles?
Do you have to stand for long hours during day?
Do you have pain or swelling in knee/ wrist/ elbow joint ?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Do you have any other associated symptoms?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

yes both!

yes i stand a lot and long hours but not all day, i am a gallery owner and event coordinator we are very busy for the past year i work 7 days a week!

my legs are heavy and yes my knees are big but not aching

no medical condition as far as i know

DO I HAVE ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT?? MY FEET ARE ALSO SWOLLEN!

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.
The swelling of the ankle and feet is called edema and can be due to collection of fluid. Typically it develops in these parts of the body due to gravity. This should not be left ignored and have to urgently checked by doctor.
There are many causes of painful and swollen ankles. Possible reasons are-
-Acute attack of Arthritis or Gout
-Another cause can be a clot in the vein( Clot in the vein obstructs venous drainage and so fluid accumulates around ankles. It usually affects one leg but occasionally can affect both)
You can take painkiller like Motrin and use cold packs on affected parts.Elevation may also help. Avoid smoking and alcohol
(if you do ).Also wearing compression stockings will be helpful.
Other possibility of Kidney, Liver disease, Nephrotic syndrome. Though pain is usually not associated with such conditions.
You may need these tests- Rheumatoid factor, anti -CCP antibody ,
uric acid level of blood , complete blood count, x-ray of ankle joint, Liver function test, Kidney function test.
I would advise to have physical examination along with blood work. Further line of treatment has to be selected after clinical evaluation.
Please don't delay and get it checked from your doctor.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
My feet are in pain and very swolen i now have cankles! I cant see my ankles!
My feet are hard and it feels like poor curculation!
Do i have anything to worry about if i wait until the weekend?
Dear Customer, Thanks for asking follow up question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I can understand your concern.
Most likely you have a acute attack of Arthritis or Gout.
A thorough clinical examination and blood work along with x-ray has to be done for precise diagnosis.
You can use ice packs on affected parts, and try to keep legs elevated.
You can take Motrin for pain and please take adequate bed rest.
You can follow these measures, and safely see your doctor by weekend.
Yes, you can wait till weekend to see your doctor.
Good luck and Take care.
Hello.
How are you doing? Let me know if you have any more follow up questions.
Thank you and take care.
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor