Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had nausea for several weeks. It is mostly when I

wake up. I thought it...
I have had nausea for several weeks. It is mostly when I wake up. I thought it was my GERD but I am on 40 mg of nexium and it doesn't help. I am also on my third week of birth control. I am nauseas during the day. It feels like pregnancy nausea, but neither my husband nor myself think I could be. I took a pregnancy test and it said I was not. I am so tired of being nauseas. I haven't thrown up, just constant nausea.
5/6/2013
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

How long have you had the nausea?

Customer:

about 3 weeks

Anthony Bray MD :

I wonder if the time course might correspond to the 3 weeks of birth control >> it is a possible side effect but even if this were the case would more often be transient...

Anthony Bray MD :

OK the time course sounds equalt to your taking the birth control.. what type do you take?

Customer:

I take mono-lynyah

Customer:

I have taken this kind of birth control before with no problems. The only reason I stopped was because I was on antibiotics.

Anthony Bray MD :

You may ask your doctor for medicine to help with nausea as one possibly helpful step... Phenetgan or Zofran are good prescription meds to help with nausea...

Customer:

I also think that I have hemorrhoids, would that cause nausea?

Anthony Bray MD :

I see... so this is just restarting what you were taking before, tight?

Anthony Bray MD :

No hemorrhoids would not cause nausea...

Customer:

Yes

Anthony Bray MD :

Do you have any stomach pain , epigastric area??

Anthony Bray MD :

It is commonly a symptom of gastritis or ulcer disease...

Anthony Bray MD :

Other causes are certainly possible>> UTI's are a common cause and may be present even when you might lack typuical UTI symptoms...

Anthony Bray MD :

Of course the Nexium would be expected to help if you have ulcers or gastritis BUT if you had an ulcer today > even with this medciation and a helpful diet it may take about 6 weeks to heal...

Customer:

It feels like a have knot in my throat, and that is where I am nauseous.

Anthony Bray MD :

I understand but though you may have a sense of nausea originating to the throat this is a neurological symptom and the cause could vary widely ( ulcer of the stomach, urinary tract infection, inflammation of the liver, migraine headaches, etc...)

Customer:

If the pregnancy test I took was negative then that should rule out the possibility that I am pregnant, correct?

Customer:

I do have headaches. I called my gastro dr and left and left a message, but I haven't heard back from them.

Anthony Bray MD :

I would think so > yes >> have you had other reason to suspect pregnancy ?? If missed period and sexually active in absence of birth control then a recheck of the pregnancy test in 1 to 2 weeks may be warranted...

Anthony Bray MD :

We have all seen some cases of a urine pregnancy test missing a very early pregancy...

Anthony Bray MD :

So if you have reason to suspect this as possible a repeat x 1 in 1 to 2 weeks with the first AM urine may be a prudent idea... this just to confirm that pregancy is not the cause.. if pregnant then of course it is very important for you to know!!

Customer:

It doesn't seam to correlate with my headaches. I am nauseous every morning, and all day today. My husband and I have been extra careful since I was on antibiotics. I don't think I have missed a period. The only thing that even makes me consider that I could be pregnant is that I am nauseous in the mornings and it is worse if I lay on my stomach. Does this sound different from GERD?

Anthony Bray MD :

It sounds to me that you may have gastritis or ulcer as possible cause... the positional increase with laying on your stomach would make sense if you had an ulcer that was more bathed in stomach acid in this position...

Customer:

What is gastritis?

Anthony Bray MD :

So I would recommend continue the Nexium of course// follow up with your doctor >> he/she may want to check you for H. Pylori = bacteria that causes ulcers adn would need treatment of double antibiotics for two weeks if present...

Anthony Bray MD :

OK >> gastritis is a diffuse irritation of the mucosal lining of the stomach...

Anthony Bray MD :

Avoid acidic and spicy foods// avoid coffee and alcohol // avoid anti-inflammatory meds such as aspirin, Advil, Aleve, (Tylenol is OK)

Customer:

Ok, Thank you for your help.

Anthony Bray MD :

Avoid tomatoes, onions, citrus fruits , peppers...

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome!

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!!

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful adn to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray MD :

As I noted I would advise you to avoid the hot and spicy foods and other irritants over the next 6 weeks... this plus continuing the Nexium should aloow the healing of the stoamch lining... Also improtant would be to check for the infection of the GI bacteria > H. Pylori adn treat this if present...

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor