Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

My daughter was stung by a sea urchin a month ago on her

My daughter was stung by a sea urchin a month ago on her hands when snorkeling in Jamaica. She has been treated with Augmentum antibiotic and prednisone. The meds are finished as of yesterday, and her fingers are swelling again and painful. Obviously the venom is still in her fingers. What doctor specializes in something like this? Her regular dermatologist is the Dr. that treated her so far. There still may be some spines imbedded, but how can they be removed without actual surgery? Who should she go to for futher treatment. A hand specialist? A tropical disease specialist? Appreciate any guidance that can be given . Thank you.
Vakul Aren :

Welcome to just answer.I will help you with your problem

Vakul Aren :

It would be best to consult a Infectious diseases specialist .It is essential that the spines and pedicillaria of the urchin are removed as early as possible,secondary infection of the wounds will need to be prevented or treated.

Customer:

There is no broken skin. Many tiny black spines were removed at the time of the contact..... but any remaining ones are deep in the fingers now. Not sure how they can be found, much less extracted. Or if they are there, tho with the obvious toxicity they probably are. Do you have an infectious disease specialist to recommend... we live in Virginia..... near Washington D.C.

Vakul Aren :

A X-Ray of the site will reveal any spines which may be lodged in the soft tissue.Referral hospitals and teaching hospitals attached to universities usually will have tropical medicine experts ,it would be even better if you could see a expert in Marine medicine/Dive Medicine who would be seeing many more of such bites.

Vakul Aren :

Sorry,meant stings not bites.

Customer:

I just tried to google Marine medicine, marine doctors with no success. They just connect me with the marines, with a place called marines. I guess I will try for tropical next. I do know an infectious disease dr. locally who I could request a recommendation from, I hope. Thank you. I am very concerned as I have read that arthritis can develop if there is no immediate treatment. We thought all was well until she got off the prednisone. This is soooo strange.

Vakul Aren :

The prolonged symptoms are suggestive of some spines which are still present in thetissues or pedicillaria which are still releasing irritants/venom .A site which lists some tropical medicine specialists is

Customer:

Thank you.... I will continue by checking that site tomorrow. Is there anyway to follow up on this with you at a later time by requesting your name?

Vakul Aren :

Yes,you can contact me on this site if the question is addressed to me by name.

Customer:

Thank you. Good night.

Vakul Aren :

You are welcome.Thank you for the positive rating.