DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I recently had a chest X-ray done for a routine check up.

I recently had a chest X-ray done for a routine check up. This is my first one ever, and the doctor asked if I was a smoker, which surprised me, for I have never smoked. I am a 56-year-old male, in very good health. He said there is nothing to worry, but he would have liked to have seen clearer lungs, and it also showed some minor scaring. I am wondering what could have caused this condition, for I leave a health lifestyle and live mostly on the beach my life. Also what can I do to improve the condition of my lungs?
Hello from JA
This can simply be due to a poor quality x ray.
Scarring can be from old fungal infection that you did not even known you had, of no consequence.
It can be from autoimmune disease, but you would have had symptoms.
A CT of the chest would be more definitive, or pulmonary function testing if there were any concern.
OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is a follow up to my earlier question. I received a copy of the doctor’s comments, which stated the following. “There is moderate hyperexpansion of the lungs compatible with chronic lung disease. No acute pulmonary pathology is evident. The bones and soft tissues are unremarkable” IMPRESSOIN: “Moderate chronic pulmonary changes – no acute pathology.”

Am I correct that regardless whether or not he had a clear x-ray the moderate hyperexpansion would show?

I have never smoked or had Asthma, nor have I had any shortness of breath or coughing concerns, and I am very active. Is there a website or link that you can direct me to, where I may read up on what I can do to help minimize any progression?

This needs further review
It might not be real.
The doctor should send you for pulmonary function testing to see if your long function is OK.

The hyper expansion can be over read by the radiologist, so it might be mild.

Until you know the condition, there is really no web site to go to except this and the like.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/test_procedures/pulmonary/pulmonary_function_tests_92,P07759/