Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am worried about my daughter, she is 25, she was accepted

Good morning, I am worried about...
Good morning,
I am worried about my daughter, she is 25, she was accepted in a police academy. She has never been physical active before to decide to change her career in the Law Enforcement field and now she is trying very hard to achieve all training requirements. Generally, she is healthy. A few weeks ago she had a sinus infection.
On last 2-3 mile run, she passed out, her face was dark red, but no sweat arms and low body. They thought she was dehydrated. Since then, she started having dizziness from time to time even when she sits down. Also, she has a head pressure/tension on top of the scalp. She feels weakness and nausea. She went to d-r and made some blood work, everything was fine. Blood pressure normal as well. No pain or other complaints. Now she is scheduled for a brain MRI.
My question is: Is it possible to be some inner ear infection (after past sinus infection) that causes dizziness and weakness…she had 5 day antibiotic treatment just two weeks ago? If not, is it possible to be a stress/anxiety issue? This last thing is pretty much what I am thinking of.
Thanks for your suggestion/advice!
4/29/2013
911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
911DOC :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911DOC :

It IS possible that dizziness and light-headedness could be from a middle ear problem related to recent infection.

911DOC :

It is more probable, especailly since she was not particularly athletic prior to entering the academy, that her fainting/passing-out episode WAS related to exertion and dehydration.

911DOC :

Also, it IS possible for stress and anxiety to be at play here.

911DOC :

She is in a new, physically and mentally challenging environment

911DOC :

And people experiencing acute anxiety can, in many cases, begin hyperventilating, which, eventually, leads to loss of consciousness.

911DOC :

I am glad she is getting a full medical workup, but chances are it will find nothing sinister.

911DOC :

standing by

911DOC :

are you there?

Customer:

yes, thanks!

911DOC :

good

911DOC :

what questions do you have for me after reading the above?

Customer:

I am ok with your answer, thx. her father things it could be a tumor, that i was worried about too

911DOC :

Very unlikely that this is a tumor, I asssume you are concerned about a brain tumor?

Customer:

yes

911DOC :

Stand by for a minute, going to get you a good reference and then explain why it is not likely to be this.... very, very unlikely...

Customer:

ok, sure

911DOC :

BRAIN TUMOR

911DOC :

As you will see

911DOC :

brain tumors CAN cause SEIZURES, but usually not fainting

911DOC :

also, patient with brain tumors develop symptoms over time

911DOC :

headaches

911DOC :

nausea

911DOC :

vomiting

911DOC :

for months or years

911DOC :

and often visual problems

911DOC :

your daughter seems to have developed these symtpoms very acutely, so, it is unlikely based on the acuity and her symtpoms that this is a tumor in the brain

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

ok, I think it sounds great she does not have most of them

911DOC :

good

911DOC :

one last thing

911DOC :

her medical evaluation should include a good look at her heart

911DOC :

do not think this is likely, but more likely than a brain tumor and often is a cause of symcope in young adults.

Customer:

yes, they did some test on her heart too, it was fine

911DOC :

very good

911DOC :

do you have anything else for me this morning?

Customer:

well thanks, ***** ***** know what it would be, but at least you calmed me down

911DOC :

I'm glad.

Customer:

thanks and have a great day

911DOC :

the evaluation of dizziness and fainting is very difficult as there are so many potential causes

911DOC :

my bet is that with your daughter it will prove to be a harmless cause.

Customer:

yeah, I read about it

Customer:

oh, i hope so!!!!

911DOC :

good. I 'm glad I was able to calm you down. And I hope this ends up being just a bump in the road for her!Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Be Well

911Doc

Customer:

I [email protected]

911DOC :

;)

911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
911DOC
911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.