911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

Doctor, I have had back pain between shoulder baldes for a

Good morning, doctor,
I have had back pain between shoulder baldes for a month. It gets accute when I try to jogg, exercise, or carry something heavier than a chicken, like my laptop. It obviaously gets worse when the air is hyumid or it is raining outside. I visited a chiropractor about ten times. The pain is weaker on the regular basis, but it still acute when I run or carry something. When it happens, it is even hard to breathe for me, but if I sit down, the pain gets away in a few minutes.
What could cause it? What specialist should I visit?
Thank you.
Tatiana
911DOC :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911DOC :

So it's time to see an MD

911DOC :

There are many potential causes for this, but, most concerningly, you state that this pain is worse with exertion.

911DOC :

The first thing to look at is your heart.

911DOC :

Even though pain from the heart (angina) is usually experienced in the chest and not the back

911DOC :

It is quite possible to have pain from the heart ( a precursor to a heart attack) that is felt in the back.

911DOC :

Other things on the list are also concerning.

911DOC :

While rare it is possible that an aortic aneurysm could cause this type of pain.

911DOC :

these are both dangerous conditions that you do not necessarily (or even likely) have, but they must be ruled out

911DOC :

You are 59 years old and are at risk for heart disease so it is time to switch from your chiropractor.

911DOC :

You will need an EKG and some blood work, and will likely need some imaging, either Xray or CT scan, to get to the cause

911DOC :

Certainly this could be a benign process, but, at this point, given the length of time you have had these symptoms, it would be foolish to assume this.

911DOC :

I am sending THIS LINK for your information.

911DOC :

Understand that from a doctor's perspective, pain between the shoulder blades IS considered 'chest pain' for the purposes of the medical workup.

911DOC :

You do not need a specialist at this point, but, rather, an Internal Medicine physician (adult medicine).

911DOC :

He/She will likely be able to get this figured out, and, SHOULD you need to see a specialist, they will make it happen and refer you to the appropriate one.

911DOC :

Standing by.

Customer:

Thanks a lot!

911DOC :

you are most welcome

911DOC :

do you have further question about this for me?

911DOC :

are you there?

Customer:

Yes, I am.

911DOC :

good

Customer:

No, I think this answer is enough to make me sad :)

911DOC :

do you have anything else for me this morning?

911DOC :

no need to be sad, simply time to get to the bottom of this. again, a heart problem or aneurysm is very unlikely, but with the chiropractor failing to help, other possibilities need to be considered. chances are this will end up being a beningn process, but again, it would be foolish to assume this.

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Be Well

911Doc

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what is 'benign process?'

Anything that will not cause long term harm. For instance, it is possible that this pain is coming from your ribs or muscles of the back. My concern is that chiropractic has not helped AND you get these symptoms when exerting yourself. The pain with exertion makes this very important to get evaluated by an MD as soon as possible. I hope this helps.

Have a great day!

911Doc