How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Das, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2258
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Das, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I don't normally medicate. I am into holistic, natural

This answer was rated:

I don't normally medicate. I am into holistic, natural health remedies and am rarely ill. Christmas day I came down with a respiratory infection that turned into bronchitis then pneumonia... strep was in there somewhere... that lasted 80+ days. (took z-pak) When my lungs finally cleared up a pain started in my rib cage... i thought i pulled muscles... hurt to breath deeply or twist my upper body... but the pain is getting worse. Last month I was hospitalized 3 days with stroke-like symptoms (right side) but all tests (cardiology, neurology, endocrinology, audiology, the lung guy) came back clean or in excellent health. each day the pain is getting worse and i find no relief with Tylenol or Aleve. I did a gall stone cleanse of lemon and oil ten days ago and passed about 30 stones and gravel which gave some relief but not a lot. The past 3 mornings i have woke up on my back (unusual) and when i rolled onto my right side i have felt like my ribs were being crushed off my spine. Intense. My GP suggested each of the above doctors but not a one of them have a clue. Tonight my neighbor suggested the nerves around my ribcage were infected when I had the pneumonia. My GP shrugged and said "maybe a thoracic guy". I have had numbness and tingling in my extremities and my face, lips. What kind of doctor should I go see? a bones guy? a lung guy? what options are there?

Welcome and thank you for your questions.

Your symptoms suggest that you could have developed costochondritis - inflammation of eh cartilage that connects the ribs to the breasrtbone.

Costochondritis can occur after a bout of chronic coughing (which you probably had with the bronchitis and pneumonia) . It can also occur spontaneously. It can cause all the symptoms that you have now - pain in the ribcage, difficulty in breathing, etc.

The main treatment is rest and painkillers.

Please consult an orthopedic specialist for a checkup.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank You! Have a great evening.

You are welcome.

I hope that the answer helped. Please rate it positive (3 or higher) for a good feedback.
Dr. Das, MD and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you