Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am male, 79 years of age. Recently I have prob lems

passing water,.quite servere discomfort and...
I am male, 79 years of age. Recently I have prob lems passing water,.quite servere discomfort and occasionally pass small tiny slivers of matter.
4/19/2013
911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
911DOC :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911DOC :

This complaint almost certainly means you have a prostate issue.

911DOC :

These break down into three varieties...

911DOC :

Acute prostatitis, an infection of the prostate which comes on rather quickly and causes decreased urine and, usually, a feeling like you have the flu... low back pain is often present.

911DOC :

Benign prostatic hypertrophy. An enlargement of the prostate that, over time, decreases uring flow and makes it hard to empty your bladder fully.

911DOC :

Prostate cancer. the same symptoms as Benign prostatic hypertrophy, but this IS cancer.

911DOC :

The point is that at this point you absolutely need to see your doctor for evaluation.

911DOC :

This will include a blood test, a urine test, and will likely require a referral to a urologist, a surgeon who specializes in diseases of the urinary tract and prostate.

911DOC :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Thank you

911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
911DOC
911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.