Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I had a stool test in November, 2012. Nothing was found. 2

I had a stool test in November, 2012. Nothing was found. 2 weeks ago my doctor called me and said that they found endolimax nana cysts, and that I should try to take metronidazole for 14 days. I am still having symptoms (waking up every morning with stomach pain) - not sure it is from E. Nana? Should I take the pills for 14 days or get another stool test since it is 5 months ago that they took it? Thanks!
RickMD :

Internal medicine internship in NYC with two decades of clinical experience. I am online and available to assist you today.

RickMD :

Since it has been 5 months are you are still having symptoms, not only would I suggest another stool test but also a more comprehensive GI workup, preferably by a gastroenterologist.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Ok, perfect, so I should go to a specialist (and not my primary doctor that found it 5 months later)

Customer:

What is a GI-workup?

RickMD :

Oops....I think I misunderstood you...I thought it has been 5 months since the cysts were found.

RickMD :

a GI work up is a complete evaluation of your GI tract...from your mouth to anus.

Customer:

No it was, but he found the document 5 months later. So I was diagnosed in November, but he told me in April

RickMD :

Nice :(

Customer:

yes, not optimal

RickMD :

In that case, I'd go ahead with the 14 days of metronidazole.

Customer:

the GI evaluation, does that involve surgery?

RickMD :

I guess that goes to prove that even doctors are human and make mistakes ;)

RickMD :

No.....no surgery.

Customer:

of course, I'm not mad, just want to be sure that I am not taking medicine for something that cannot live in me for 5 months (not sure what the e. nano lifespan is?)

RickMD :

Give the medicine a try. If it works, you are saved a big workup. If it doesn't all you have lost is 14 days which in the scheme of things is nothing at this point.

RickMD :

Ya...it could infect you for this long....

Customer:

ok, so first step - medicine or another stool test?

Customer:

just to be sure :)

RickMD :

If I were in your shoes, I'd just go with the medicine.

RickMD :

It was found on one stool test...no need to look again.

Customer:

ok, thanks so much

Customer:

have a good day

RickMD :

My pleasure. Good luck to you.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

thanks

RickMD :

you too :)

David,
For some reason I found my thoughts turning toward you and your case of the missing report....How did things go with the metronidazole treatment?
I hope your symptoms are gone now :)
Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you in the future. Have a good day.
Dr. Rick MD FACS