Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have been sick with an upper respitory infection for two

weeks. I'm on steroids now...
I have been sick with an upper respitory infection for two weeks. I'm on steroids now to knock it out. Still coughing, stuffed up and no appetite. I have had no appetite for as long as I have had this. Lost about 10 lbs., can't afford it, skinny already. I'm eating, but not like I usually do. Had blood work to rule out epstein barr. blood work is mostly fine. Iron a little off, thyroid a little off but not enough for doctor to be concerned. Could something else be goingo on?
4/13/2013
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

Hmmm > steroids?? this would reduce inflammation but actually by itself would impair your immune response.. Are you also on an antibiotic??

Anthony Bray MD :

A resiratory infection in general is statistically more commonly VIRAL but one that lasts two wekks >> these would more often be characteritic of a bacterial infection... did your blood work include a CBC(complete blood count) ?? The white cell differential may help to characterize the type of infection that you have ....

Anthony Bray MD :

Iron supplement is best taken along wioth Vitamin C 500mg >>tip to increase your absorption!!

Anthony Bray MD :

If thyroid was "off" > I don't know which test was off or in which direction ... I would advise a follow up check in 2 months on this....

Anthony Bray MD :

You are offline now the screen shows>> let me know if you can provide additional information and I will be happy to get back with you..(I will be online and offline at various times today... please just be a bit patient if you are back on when I'm not!! >>>

Anthony Bray MD :

Is your cough productive? What does the sputum look like if so?

Anthony Bray MD :

Have you had any fever? Do you have history of allergies? Any wheezing? Does it hurt to take a deep breath?

Anthony Bray MD :

Sore throat?

Anthony Bray MD :

Nasal discharge or post-nasal drainage??

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if possoble and I will get back wtih you!

Anthony Bray MD :

I see that you are online now >> Can you address my questions above?

Anthony Bray MD :

The steroids would tend to increase your appetitie and may benefit you to stabilize your weight...

Customer:

I was taking cefdinir. I had previously had a very bad sore throat. I stopped taking that when doctor put me on methylprednisolone for cough and congestion. Sore throat gone. Cough is productive, green sputum, did have very slight fever, no allergies just post nasal drip, no wheezing, no discomfort when breathing. Yes, nasal discharge, and post nasal drainage. I'm concerned about weight loss mostly and lack of appetite, but can't taste or smell, no desire for food.Thank you

Anthony Bray MD :

Well I think that the steroids would help to stabilize your wright...

Anthony Bray MD :

weight... sorry ..typo...

Anthony Bray MD :

I think that the problem sounds more short term and should stabilize as your body beats infection.... Did you complete your antibiotic course?

Anthony Bray MD :

This might be considered a treatment failure with ongoing productive cough and nasal discharge... you may need a course of a different antibiotic...

Anthony Bray MD :

Sputum for cultures could be helpful to ID infection and to direct best antibiotic for you...

Anthony Bray MD :

I would advise monitoring weight over the next few months to confirm it has stabilized or rebounded to your normal...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this is helpful for you! Let me know if you have further questions or discussion>>

Anthony Bray MD :

If coughing worsened or persisted for another week I think that a chest xray should be done...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this is helpful for you! I hope that you feel better soon!

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank You and Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

Thank you for your help.

Anthony Bray, MD

Hello again,

You are very welcome! I would add that with your weight loss symptom this would increase my concern that your lower respiratory infection MIGHT be developing into pneumonia>> sinus infections do not usually so strongly affect appetite as to make people lose weight rapidly >> pneumonia however ..nausea or marked loss of appetite would be more common. I guess I would advise that you ask your doctor to consider a chest xray for you sooner vs later....

I hope that this helps. I hope that you recover and feel better soon!

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor