Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

If I have ringing in the ears real bad, depression, and

chronic tiredness, do you think...
If I have ringing in the ears real bad, depression, and chronic tiredness, do you think these are reasons to try another medication?
4/9/2013
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
What medication are you currently on?
How long has this been going on for?
Do you have any other medical problems?
Have any of the medications you've tried so far helped at all?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Tegretol, 100 mg twice a day

For several years

I have sleep apnea

No medications have helped so far

Terry,
Thank you for that information.
I'm sorry to hear that you have been suffering with all of this for so long.
Yes. If the tegretol is not working then, by all means, it is time to try something else.
One other thing you might consider is getting a second opinion since this has been such a long standing issue. Have you ever thought about going to a Large University Medical Center for help?
Why a large University Teaching hospital? Because at an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.
Of course, another option is to just ask your current doctor to try something new since what she has prescribed doesn't seem to be working all that well....
Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS

I do go to the Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix Arizona. I am on my 8th medication and my neurologist doesn't seem concerned with the seriousness of my side-effects. He also seems to think that its not necessary to change medications even though there are plenty of others. I counted 32 epilepsy medications and I am on my 8th one. To me there are plenty of other medications left to try. My problem is that I have not be able to convince my Dr. of the adverse nature of all of these side-effects. He sees me every 6 months or so in his office and I apparently look ok to him. Because I look ok and seem ok, he assumes that I am ok in every area. I have not been able to convince him of just how miserable I am. How do I do that?

Terry,
I am glad that you are at such an excellent institution.
I'm afraid if your current physician refuses to even consider your desire to switch to another medicine you have only two options.
1. Switch doctors.
2. Decide that "Doctor Knows Best" and believe him that, no matter what he does, you will continue to suffer with ringing in the ears, depression, and chronic tiredness.
In your place I would try number one before going on and living with number two....
Does this make sense to you?
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

You did not address my question - How do I convince my Dr. of the seriousness of these side-effects? I have been going to this Dr. for 5 years. I have tried other Dr.s but didn't like them. I need advice on how to convince this Dr. of the seriousness of these side-effects.

Terry,
I do not think you can change this doctors opinion of the side effects you are experiencing. You have tried and tried again -- he is not going to listen -- his mind is made up about what you need, irrespective of what you say.
Doctors can be that way sometimes.....
That being said, one thing you can try is to write a letter stating clearly what side effects you are having, how they are affecting your life and how much you want to try some other form of medication or therapy.
In a non accusatory way point out to this doctor that you are very disappointed that he has not at least considered other options and that you would kindly request he discuss his reasons with you at length and seriously consider your wishes in this matter.
You should close saying that you understand how this might not be possible for him and, if that were to be the case, you would appreciate a referral.
You should send this letter via Certified Mail RRR.
This letter, at the very least, will get his attention.
Dr Rick MD FACS
Best of luck to you :)
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD