Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

On saturday which was 5 days ago, i started with diarrhea at

7am and it has been...
On saturday which was 5 days ago, i started with diarrhea at 7am and it has been going off and on since. i have had nausea, chills, about 100 degree fever, night sweats, body aches. Can you tell me what this is going on with me?
4/3/2013
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
Have you noticed any bleeding or changes in the color of your feces?
Do you have any cramping? Vomiting?
Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?
Has anyone near you been sick lately?
Have you traveled recently, camped out in the woods, drank water from a source that could be contaminated or ate different food?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

yes my diarrhea has changed color from brown to green and then back to brown. some cramping, no i am not vomiting. no medical problems and no meds. No i havnt been near anyone that has been sick. havent traveled or ate anything out of the ordinary.

Alisha,
Ok. Well, I am concerned that this has been going on for so long and has not gotten even a little bit better.
What could be causing such a severe and prolonged illness? It could be a simple viral infection, a physical abnormality of your GI system, a more severe bacterial (or other bug) infection or, possibly, a sign of a more serious general physical problem.
I know you were hoping that I could give you advice on a simple cure you can do at home and/or a definite diagnosis that you could hang you hat on but, the truth be told, it is now time for you to pick up the phone and call a doctor and be evaluated today. The sooner the better.
If you don't have a doctor you can call the local hospital, or the county health office etc. There should be a clinic in your area that can see you today. And, if money is an issue, most of them will treat you on a sliding scale or even for free.
This is the same advice I would give any of my daughters if they were to call me with your symptoms.
Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three faces, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest.
Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Hi Alisha,
I was just thinking about you today and wondering what the doctor found on Wednesday. I hope you are getting the correct treatment and are feeling better already.
Take care and let me know if there is anything else I can do for you in the future.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD