Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What is wrong with my niece for 1 year she has been

depressed, abusing wine,given up nurse...
what is wrong with my niece for 1 year she has been depressed, abusing wine,given up nurse training been hospitalised x2 with small overdoses of paracetomol then venlefaxine ???
3/28/2013
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Do you think that the overdose was a suicide attempt?

RickMD :

Was your niece in a psychiatric hospital? What was her diagnosis?

RickMD :

Does she ever seem overly happy or engage in activities that seem unwise?

Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : Do you think that the overdose was a suicide attempt?
RickMD : Was your niece in a psychiatric hospital? What was her diagnosis?
RickMD : Does she ever seem overly happy or engage in activities that seem unwise?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

not a serious attempt
she was in a private hospital twice ,6 weeks each time no formal diagnosis but words like anxiety and depression have been said

not overly happy although better with friends than us older family members

Alan,
I see you have already given me positive feedback.....never fear. Even though I you have paid me early, I am still here and will continue to work with you until you have the information you need.
Shall we get started?

Sorry must have pressed wrong image.

I have answered your questions about diagnosis etc if you didn`t get them let me know and I`ll re-type.

Alan,
No problem :)
I got your extra information.
Let me tell you what I think is going on....
It sounds like your niece is suffering from a significant psychological condition. It might be bipolar disease, depression or something more serious.
I am not happy with the fact that she has been given a diagnosis of anxiety and depression and had it left at that. She is obviously still suffering and, in my opinion, needs a more comprehensive workup and evaluation.
I would suggest having a psychiatrist see her. He might also want to have an internal medicine MD give your niece a good going over to make sure things such as thyroid issues, lupus etc are not present.
If you don't think a local doctor will take her seriously, then you might consider having her evaluated at a large university medical center. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall. Although if she can get good care locally, this might not be necessary at this point.
Does this make sense to you?
Once again, thank you for your patience. I'm sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD