Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

What is the likely cause of a pain in my hip that only shows

What is the likely cause of a pain in my hip that only shows up from standing with little or no moving around. If I move around or work even heavy work the pain never shows up but when teaching in front of a class an ache begins in as little a ten minutes and is debilitating by the end of the day. Sitting down for several hours or a nights rest is the reset. I am 67 years old, good health and weight. Physical work is my main exercise.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

The commonest cause for pain in the hips when standing for a long time is osteoarthritis of the hip joint. Since the hip joints take most of the body weight, the inflammation flares up when standing. Sitting will decrease the inflammation.

Please ask your doctor if the arthritis has has shown up in the Xrays - it should be. very mild cases will need an MRI for an accurate diagnosis.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.