Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Canit be harmfull to drink baking soda if you have a

Canit be harmfull to drink baking soda if you have a prostetic aorta valve and if you are taking warfrin and I am also taking 20mg od ACCUPRIL PER DAY
RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

How are you drinking the baking soda? As a dilute solution in water?

RickMD :

How much (tablespoons, etc) do you take over a 24 hour period?

RickMD :

Why are you taking baking soda?

Customer:

I am drinking it in water , i usually just add a couple of spoonfuls to am 8 oz glass

RickMD :

Ok. How often do you drink this amount over the course of a day?

Customer:

so far I have done it just twice on a per day basis

RickMD :

There is a lot of sodium in baking soda, but in general, a glassful a day as you are doing is very well tolerated in an otherwise healthy person.

RickMD :

You can do this without fear.

Customer:

am I considered a healthy person

RickMD :

However, excessive use can lead to problems such as swelling of your extremities, heart problems, and metabolic abnormalities such as hyperosmolar syndrome and hypervolemic hypernatremia.

RickMD :

In very rare cases metabolic acidosis can occur and this could cause you to need hospital care...

Customer:

which would cause what type of symptoms

RickMD :

But, as I pointed out above, a 8 oz glass or two with a one or two spoonfuls should not cause any issues.

RickMD :

The symptoms depend on what metabolic or systemic problem you end up with or if you have more then one at the same time. You would know you were sick.....

RickMD :

but, at your level of use, I think you will be fine.

Customer:

thank you for your input

RickMD :

My pleasure. Have a good evening

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

againI thank you for answers, I am not the braviest person in trying home remedies but this one seems to help my probem, if I were to notice a change in the way I feel I would definitely inquire

RickMD :

sounds like an excellent plan. I'm glad the baking soda is helping you.