Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have an aching stiff neck and upper left arm and the entire

I have an aching stiff neck and upper left arm and the entire area in between them for a week now. I woke up with the pain one morning with no reason why. No matter what pain medications I take the aches will not go away, they keep getting worse. I have been taking a conbination 2-350mg soma, 3-50 mg Ultrams and 4-200mg Motrins three times a day without any relief. I've had muscle strains and the meds always work. I even tried 2-10mg Oxycontins, with 4-200mg Motrins and still no relief (meds left over from previous issues). I can feel the meds, but the pain continues. The back of my left upper arm has red blotches but there doesn't appear to be any swelling.

I thought it was a strained muscle but because the meds, cold compresses and heat are not doing anything and so now I am concerned that I may have a blood clot or even menigitis. I had a level 2 lumbar spine fusion 14 months ago and so I know pain and what meds are capable of. This is something different and I would put the pain level at a 7-8 and growing.

I have a doctors appointment setup for March 26th but I don't think I should wait.

Please advise. Thanks,
Steve Sawyer

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Steve,

I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain and it has been going on for so long.

RickMD :

Are you able to touch your chin to your chest? Do you have any pain in your calves?

Customer:

I can touch my chin to my chest but it is painful. I do not have pain in my calves as far as I know (lots of meds).

RickMD :

Do you have any other symptoms? Problems thinking, moving your arms/legs etc?

Customer:

No. Just painfull spasms in the neck when I move it anyway.

RickMD :

Ok. Thank you for that extra information.

RickMD :

While I would not rush to say that your problem is due to a blood clot or meningitis it is concerning that you are having so much pain and that is doesn't respond to the pain meds you have tried.

RickMD :

I agree with you -- waiting until March 26 to be evaluated is too long to be in such continued pain.

RickMD :

I suggest that you call your MD and tell her that the pain is just too much and you would like to be seen ASAP.

RickMD :

Since today is Friday and doctors are not in their office on the weekend, you might even want to consider going to the ER.

RickMD :

While the ER probably won't be able to do a huge, indepth workup they would rule out anything of a active serious nature and be able to help you to get rid of the pain until you can be seen by your primary care MD

Customer:

I was considering going to an Urgent Care facility.

RickMD :

That would work as well. If they find that your pain is from something beyond what the Urgent Care place can treat, they will get you right in to a local ER....and a UC is much, much less expensive.

RickMD :

At either place you will be evaluated by an MD who can help with the terrible pain you have been putting up with for so long.

Customer:

Thank you so much for your time.

RickMD :

My pleasure. I hope you feel better soon.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Hi Steve,

I was just thinking about you and wondering how you were feeling. Did you manage to get to the bottom of what was causing your pain on Friday?

I hope you are feeling better. Take care and have a good day.

Dr. Rick MD FACS