Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I had a colonoscopy yesterday. I seem to be having pains in

I had a colonoscopy yesterday...
I had a colonoscopy yesterday. I seem to be having pains in my chest... I think it is gas because it comes and goes and moves around. I took some Ranitidine for my stomach but was not sure if I could also take GasX? I also was told this week that I have a softball sized tumor on my right ovary. I think this is causing pressure. I am in a quandry as to what to do. When I lay down the pain comes back.. Should I lay on the side of the tumor? Both sides bring the pain back.....
3/8/2013
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Welcome and thank you for your question.
Pain which comes and goes is caused by cramps in the muscles - in your case, the intestinal muscles. And yes, it can be caused by gas.
The tumor in the ovary will not cause this type of pain.
It is likely that the colonoscopy has caused irritation of the intestines leading to gas formation and crampy pain.
You can take GasX after ranitidine - the two does not interact . Please take it now. Also apply a warm pack on the abdomen - this will help the muscles relax, decreasing the pain. If you can get a medicine called Midol, it will be very helpful - it is used for uterine crmaps during the menstrual period but is very effective against intestinal cramps.
You can lie down in any position you find comfortable.
If the pain does not decrease in the morning please consult your doctor.
I hope this helps.
If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.

I already took some Tylenol before laying down. I will take the GAsX now. I did have a hard time eating dinner. I ate some yogurt and then a little chicken broth.

please take the GasX - you should see the effects in about 30 minutes-1 hour.
Sleeping propped up against a pillow will be more comfortable.
I hope this helps.
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Just wondering if food will make this worse? I was able to sleep, but its back this morning. I went to get Midol...took one more GasX.
Relist: Other.
Dr. Did not answer
Dr. Pauline
Dr. Pauline, Doctor
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help with your question today.
How bad is your pain? Are you able to walk around?
Is it painful to press your abdomen firmly?
I am walking around. It's worse when I sit. No pain when I press, except where the tumor is.
The pain is not constant . The pain is in the middle of my chest.
Are you burping a lot or passing gas?
Have your bowels started working since the colonoscopy?
Any nausea or vomiting?
Any fever?
No nausea or vomiting. No bowl movement. I passed a little gas. I have been trying to burp. It got worse when I ate some plain goat yogurt.
In order to get the colonoscopy tube round then they need to inflate the intestines with gas which can leave you feeling quite bloated. You may find that peppermint tea and heat pad on the abdomen will help with symptoms.
Bentyl (dicylomine) may be helpful for cramps but if the pain is severe and not improving then you will need to see a doctor in person.
Simple tylenol should also help, and ensure you drink plenty of water. Start with crackers or small amounts of soup.
I took one Midol and one GasX. I will go have some water. I was just hoping it was not heart related. That pain was a little freaky. I just burped a little.
At your age in life then we do need to consider heart related causes, but given the circumstance then colonoscopy related issue seems more likely.
How long does the pain last?
Does it spread anywhere?
Are you short of breath?
Any history of any heart problems?
I had a bit of pain in my left arm but I often get it with tight muscles. In my shoulders and neck and back due to my computer job. No other signs. I had an EKG two weeks ago... It was fine. How long will this continue? ..Did I kill all the bacteria in my tummy?
The pain is likely due to the gas pumped in during the procedure, but if you have pain in the centre of your chest that is radiating to your arm, or you feel short of breath then you need to go to ER.
We would not wish to miss a heart related cause, ER will do ECG and some blood tests and if everything is fine will let you get away home.
Thank you.
I hope you found this useful, please take a minute to rate my answer or use reply to continue.
Best wishes
Dr. Pauline
Dr. Pauline, Doctor
Thanks. I am fine. It was gas... Needed a strong antacid foe a week... Then cut that in half. Had all sorts of tests done in ER? Ended up having a CT scan. The softball sized tumor I was supposed to have taken off In another couple of weeks was gone? Pretty happy with that.
That is good news.
If the tumor is not seen now, possibly it was identified by mistake in the earlier CT.
You will need a repeat CT in another 6 months to check for it
Dr. Pauline
Dr. Pauline
Dr. Pauline, Doctor