KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.
22767285

My left eyelid is twitching for the past hour. When should

My left eyelid is twitching for the past hour. When should I get it check for any serious medical condition?
Hi. Thanks for your question.
I am a board certified neurologist in the U.S.
Eyelid twitching is only a very rare sign of a serious medical condition. In most cases, this can be caused by stress, poor sleep, caffeine, fatigue, nicotine, etc. Other possible conditions which can be more serious include neuromuscular diseases, but these will virtually always have other symptoms such as weakness in the muscles or twitching of other major muscle groups. Seizures could potentially produce eyelid twitching, but again this usually would involve other body parts as well.
To answer your question more specifically, if the eyelid twitching is not going away after a day or so, or if it starts to involve other body parts, you would want to let your doctor know what is occurring. If you smoke or drink caffeine, one could consider stopping doing so if possible. One could also try to get enough rest and limit stress to see if the twitching will go away.
Please be aware that this website is for informational purposes only and not intended as actual treatment, but hopefully the information above is helpful to you.