Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

I have been experiencing a sharp stabbing pain in my lower

I have been experiencing a sharp stabbing pain in my lower abdomen, below belly button above bikini line, off and on for three days. Tonight is the worst. The pain won't subside and makes me hold my breath or breath short breaths, but no relief.
48 y/o female, no major medical issues. Great physical shape, active. 2 children. Tubal ligation 17 years ago after C-sect when my daughter was born.
No regular medications. Tried 2 extra strength Gas-X 30 mins ago. My bowel movement are not really regular, but I had one yesterday.
MD Doc :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

MD Doc :

Such a severe pain that has been worsening for the last 3 days requires immediate evaluation,

MD Doc :

There can be many reasons for this pain, which cannot be confirmed without a physical examination

MD Doc :

On the 'milder' end of the spectrum, ti could be a stomach bug

Customer:

I was kind of figuring that but hoping it would subside and not require a trip to ER

MD Doc :

while on the severe end it could be even a surgical condition like ovarian torsion

MD Doc :

UTI, reproductive tract infection etc.

Customer:

Is there an amount of time I can wait to see if it lessens? No uti

Customer:

I've had UTI before and this isn't that... it seems to be localized to below belly button above bikini line

MD Doc :

I am worried about possible serious problems like appendicitis, diverticulitis and colitis

MD Doc :

Pelvic inflammatory disease can be another potentially tricky problem

MD Doc :

I would honestly suggest a visit to the ER - better safe than sorry, in this situation

MD Doc :

It could still be constipation, but given that you have had motions yesterday, and have taken a couple of Gas X this appears less likely ...

Customer:

Isn't appendicitis on the right? I appreciate you being available and yes, I know you are right. My hubby is out of town and only home with my daughter, but if I must go, then I will.

MD Doc :

Appendicitis can be retro cecal (behind the cecum) and can then present with a central below the belly button pain

Customer:

Thank you Doctor...oh Lord, ugh. Okay, I'll go.

MD Doc :

As I said you do not want to land up with a complicated problem in the hospital

MD Doc :

:)

MD Doc :

All the best !

MD Doc :

Let me know how it goes.....

MD Doc :

And do leave a positive feedback !

Customer:

Same to you again, thank you. ***** definitely will be happy to leave very positive fb :)

MD Doc :

Bye

Customer:

Bye doc