Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

At least once a year I get something that's like a shock in…

At least once a year...
At least once a year I get something that's like a shock in my head. It's been happening all my life. I'm 28 years old. I also have U. Colitis.
It lasts usually for 7 days tops. It slowly start all of a sudden, then it will get worse by day 3 and slowly start to decrease by day 4 until it's gone. The shocks come about every 20 seconds to minute, or anytime I turn my head or make any movement, The shocks get worse when t he room is colder. When the room is colder, I feel a cold chill on my skin.
I have had several MRI's throughout my life, my last one being 2 years ago. I can never gt an appt to go to the doc while this is happening. Can anyone tell me what this is?
2/18/2013
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

I am sorry to hear that you are having this difficulty for such a long time.

RickMD :

When you get these shocks, other then the pain of the shocks, are there any physical manifestations?

RickMD :

Other then the UC, do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

JACUSTOMER-x80yndmk- :

Nothing else besides my doctor told me several years ago I have ulcers. I don't take any meds

RickMD :

Ok.

RickMD :

As you stated, the problem is that is happens so infrequently and there are no physical findings that would even lend themselves to taking a movie or pictures with your cell phone etc to share with your doctor.

RickMD :

Also, as you already know, your symptoms are very unusual.

JACUSTOMER-x80yndmk- :

I know, it's hard to explain and by the time I make it into a doctors office, they are gone.

RickMD :

And therein lies the problem........

RickMD :

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief. It seems obvious to me that your current doctors have reached the bottom of their bag of tricks and, yet, you are still having these problems. Is this something that I'm going to be able to figure out using "chat" as my only diagnostic tool? Of course not....I'm good, but not THAT good. I do, however, think I can point you in the right direction.

RickMD :

You need a doctor, or a group of doctors, who are willing to spend the extra time to "think outside of the box" for you.

JACUSTOMER-x80yndmk- :

Ok, do you think there is anything I can do to help make me more comfortable when they come until my doc can find a cure for me

RickMD :

Therein lies the problem. Without knowing the cause, coming up with a treatment is very difficult.....and I'm sure you don't want to just be doped up on pain meds...that is no solution.

RickMD :

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

RickMD :

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

JACUSTOMER-x80yndmk- :

I live in Michigan, I can travel anywhere to anywhere in the country. But, do you think there is anything I can do today to help myself. I have those shocks today and It's really annoying. I took a pain med but those never help, do you think there is anything I can do now to give me even a little bit of relief?

RickMD :

There is really nothing available over the counter that is going to help you based on what you have posted.

RickMD :

It would be wonderful if you could call a neurologist, or even your primary care MD and get in right now since you are in the middle of an attack.......

RickMD :

There must be some doctor who can see you right away so you can try to document what is going on.....

JACUSTOMER-x80yndmk- :

OK,I will call a neurologist, thank you very much.

RickMD :

My pleasure. Best of luck.

Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Hi Nikki,
I was just discussing your case with my partner and wondering if you got in to see an MD during your attack the other day.
I hope you are feeling better. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Have a good day.
Dr Rick MD FACS

Hi Dr. Rick, thank you for the follow up. No I didn't get in to see a doctor. As usually, it stopped before I was able to get in. I am taking you advice on going to a University to see if they can help me. This episode was one that was shorter than usually, it only lasted 2 days, but it was one of the most painful ones. I am going to do all I can to see if I can get some answers before it happens again, thank you very much.

Niki,
Good to hear from you. When you talk to the doctors at the University see if you can set something up in advance so the next time you have an episode you can just come right in for a quick check by the doctor.
While they might not be able to do a full exam on such short notice at least they can get some idea of what is happening....
I wish you the very best. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Dr Rick