Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am taking prednisone for myasthenia gravis and have had to

I am taking prednisone for myasthenia gravis and have had to take ambiem for the last 10 years 10mg now only can get 5mg. Have tried to stopped taking this for the last 2 weeks and the insomia is so much worse. Will the insomia get better? After all the bad press on sleeping drugs I am afraid of them. What would you do in my situation? My general doctor has suggested temazepam or lunesta aren't they just as bad????
RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

It is hard to tell if your insomnia will get better as you try and taper off of the ambien.

RickMD :

Were you having problems sleeping on 10mg?

RickMD :

I see you are in chat but I can't see anything you are typing.

Customer:

Not really. It stated with myasthenia and prednisone

RickMD :

Both of those things can cause sleep problems.....

RickMD :

Of the choices your doctor has suggested, I would go with the lunesta.

Customer:

Are you afraid of sleeping meds. What would you suggest other than sleeping meds.

RickMD :

I am not afraid of the sleeping meds, especially in person such as yourself who has known conditions/medications that mess up your sleep cycle.

RickMD :

As long as your doctor watches you everything should be OK

Customer:

Do you think sleeping meds are bad.. and what would you suggest other than sleeping meds

RickMD :

I am sure that you have already tried everything else, such as having a constant bed time, pre-sleep routine, area conducive to sleeping (no tv on, etc)

Customer:

I have tried everything. Thank you very much.

RickMD :

My pleasure. I think you, really, will be ok with Lunesta.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Hello from JA

I will have to respectfully ***** ***** the above answer. First you need to see a sleep specialist and if needed a sleep study. There is no real point in tapering off of ambien and then going on lunesta. They are both short acting sleep medications to induce sleep, and generally are not indicated for long term use. [usually 4 to 6 weeks tops] If your problem is staying asleep then another medication should be used.

If the insomnia is related to anxiety or depression, yet another type. And there are others, so the choice can be more expertly individualized if needed.

Problems such as sleep apnea and others would be treated in other ways.

I would also like to address your question about safety. Most sleep medicines can not be considered completely safe and benign for long term use. Recent very good studies, once again, have indicated problems with early mortality and increased cancer rates with long term use of these medications. Now you see the reason I think you need to see a specialist to address your sleep problems.See this article.http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/news/20120227/sleeping-pills-called-as-risky-as-cigarettes

I am not saying that they can not be used, but the reality is that lunesta is as implicated as ambien and others in this problem.I have a lot of experiences with this and appropriate training as well...let me know if you have further questions.

Let me know if you have further questions. If you have any concerns just use reply to expert until you are ready to rate a positive for your satisfaction..

Please click on one of the positive ratings [smiley faces]: the only way we are compensated for time and expertise. If you are not done or satisfied, use reply to expert [not poor/negative]. Come back anytime. Bonuses are great…but your satisfaction is my goal.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas