Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I'm 52 years old, 5'10", 185 lbs. I just had a physical last

I'm 52 years old, 5'10", 185 lbs. I just had a physical last week and my doctor said I'm in exceptional health. I take no medications and exercise daily.
My question:
I can get an erection and stay hard without any problem. However it is very difficult to ejaculate. I am single but have been in a relationship with one woman for several years and we have a very enjoyable sex life. With the exception that I can't ejaculate. As an example we may have sex 2 to 4 times a week but I only ejaculate once and that happens after an exhausting amount of effort.
Is there anything I can do so that I can ejaculate more often and not have it take so much work when I do?
My doctor says it is just an age related thing and not much can be done.
RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Your doctor is correct in some respect. The fact that you can maintain an erection and ejaculate is a positive thing.

RickMD :

The best way to approach your issue is with a certified sex therapist. This person would work closely with you and your sexual partner and come up with techniques that the two of you can use to decrease the amount of time and effort you need in order to orgasm.

RickMD :

If you look online you will find many "quick fixes" that promise all sorts of fast results --do not believe them, they are just scams.

RickMD :

You should be able to find a sex therapist in your area by talking to a local urologist or other physician.

RickMD :

I would not, as you MD would have you do, just give up and chalk your problem up to age and continue to suffer. There is help available.

RickMD :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

RickMD :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:
RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : Your doctor is correct in some respect. The fact that you can maintain an erection and ejaculate is a positive thing.
RickMD : The best way to approach your issue is with a certified sex therapist. This person would work closely with you and your sexual partner and come up with techniques that the two of you can use to decrease the amount of time and effort you need in order to orgasm.
RickMD : If you look online you will find many "quick fixes" that promise all sorts of fast results --do not believe them, they are just scams.
RickMD : You should be able to find a sex therapist in your area by talking to a local urologist or other physician.
RickMD : I would not, as you MD would have you do, just give up and chalk your problem up to age and continue to suffer. There is help available.
RickMD : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your response. I wanted to verify there were no obvious health issues. I have not considered a sex therapist. Do you think my problem is psychological?
Can you have an orgasm quicker in other situations, such as during masturbation, or (if you have had an opportunity) with a different partner?
If the answer is yes, then there may be a psychological component to your delay in achieving an organism but, even if this is true, a sex therapist can work through any physical or psychological issues that may be present.
Does this make sense to you?
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are times when I masterbate that I don't ejaculate and I'm not going to be having sex with another partner. I will admit to being more aroused is certain situations and this does help. Thanks for your help.
My pleasure. Have a good day.