Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I was wondering, for rumination, anxiety and depression if

taking 5 htp and l-...
I was wondering, for rumination, anxiety and depression if taking 5 htp and l- theanine would help with these more so the rumination as it has taken over my life. I do have a doctors appointment wednesday to discuss prescription meds. but i would like to try and stick with herbal supplements. What do you think of those herbals together and do they help?
1/22/2013
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Doctor Cameron :

are you taking anything else?

Doctor Cameron :

I see you are not online. Get back to me when you can

no i am not taking anything else just birth control
oh hi
you are there.
How long have you been on the supplements?
sorry my computer isnt working but i can see all your replys, I started taking 5 htp for 2 weeks a week ago but i ran out and the rumination came back, i started again 3 days ago but i also bought l-theanine to go with it
Thanks for the additional information
Well, both of these supplements have been reported in the literature to help. But they are neither tested by the FDA or controlled, in terms of manufacturing.
So there have not been any large studies to show whether or not they really work.
Further, as with all herbal supplements, the quality is not controlled. So you are taking them at your own risk.
That being said, it takes about 3-4 weeks for them to work. So if they don't work by then, then you can consider the prescription medication...
hang in there..
I was wondering do anti depressants help with rumination
Relist: Answer came too late.I was wondering if anti depressants help with rumination? And I'm terrified of weight gain are there any that don't cause it?
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor

Yes, antidepressants specially SSRI antidepressant like Zoloft and Prozac are the preferred medicines for Obsessive ruminations, anxiety and depression.

If you are much concerned about weight gain, you can discuss with your doctor about trying Prozac(Fluoxetine) which does not cause weight gain. In fact, it can initially cause weight loss due to its side effect of causing lack of appetite.

Now regarding your first question, natural products like the one you have mentioned are not very useful in moderate to severe cases for rumination, anxiety and depression. In a patient suffering from all these condition, antidepressants specially SSRI antidepressant are the first choice.

I hope this answers your question.. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor

Thank you! Will these anti-depressents take away the obsessive thoughts? How does someone typically feel on them?

Yes, antidepressants can effectively control these obsessive thoughts. As you are also suffering from anxiety and depression, you will also notice a great improvement in anxiety related and depressive symptoms.

Prozac is usually well tolerated. Being an activating antidepressant it should be taken in morning or evening but not at night. You can also ask your doctor to prescribe you a low dose of .25 mg Clonazepam to control the initial anxiety symptoms. Clonazepam can be stopped after 3-4 weeks while continuing Prozac.

Treatment should be continued for at least 4-6 months more once you start feeling better.

Once your symptoms are under control you will start feeling normal just like before.

Regards

Vikas
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor