Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Are there laser treatments available to reduce multinodular

are there laser treatments available to reduce multinodular goiter? Any other treatments available minus surgery to remove thyroid
RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Are you having any problems breathing or swallowing?

Customer:

No and I have no systoms of thyroid problems. However the ultasound showed the goiter is large enough that it is starting to move my windpipe.

RickMD :

Lasers are not really used in the surgical management of MNG but, outside of surgery, yes, there are other options available.

Customer:

My doctors wont use alcohol says that it doesnt really work.

Customer:

Can you advise anything else

RickMD :

One thing that can be tried is using levothyroxine to suppress TSH levels. TSH is thought by many to be a growth factor for thyroid cells in MNG. In one study about 50% of patients showed some benefit from this treatment

RickMD :

Another option is radioiodine therapy. This quickly destroys the nodules in MNG

RickMD :

These really are all the current options out there.

RickMD :

It would be best to consult with an endocrinologist and ENT surgeon to find what would be best in your specific case.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Would I need to take it for the rest of my life ... which is what I would have to do after surgery. Does radiodine therapy destroy the thyroid?

Customer:

Is there a endocrinologist on just answer that I can talk to?

RickMD :

Yes, with surgery and radioactive iodine you would have to replace your missing thyroid hormone for your entire life. My wife had radioactive iodine about 14 years ago and takes thyroid meds every day....and she is doing well...

RickMD :

Do you have anymore questions for me this afternoon?

Customer:

Is there an endocrinologist on just answer that I can talk to?

RickMD :

We do have one but I do not think he is online at the moment.

Customer:

ok thanks bye

RickMD :

My pleasure.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick