Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Had an eeg test today and he said it seems i have some nerve

had an eeg test today...

had an eeg test today and he said it seems i have some nerve damage in my lower back and neck that is causing my discomfort in my left arm and leg... and wants an mri .. Is nerve damage reversable? will this get worse over time? also, i have an increase in headaches in the past couple weeks.. i hardly get headaches but lately they are everyday.. they come and go and vary.. sometimes its jsut an overall pressure, sometimes when i lean forward i will get a headache ontop of my head and forehead that is like achey.. also, if you push the top of my head it can start a headache for a short time.. i told the neuro this but he didn't make a mention of the headaches and during the test he pushed down on my head at our intital visit and i got dizzy for a few seconds.. he also didn't say anything about that but i am curious to know if that means anything... opinions appreciated..

1/9/2013
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
I am available to assist you this morning. Thank you for your patience.
Do you have any other medical problems or take any medication?
How long has this discomfort in your left arm and leg been going on? How about the headaches?
When is your MRI scheduled?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

my mri is scheduled for monday... it has been off and on for months now... i am hypothyroid and take synthroid.. the headaches have been for the past 2 or 3 weeks off and on... i also have muscle pain and tightness in my neck left shoulder and back constantly.... i am a mother of 3 w my youngest being 16 mo old which i currently am still bf..

it says nuerologist but when i click to view your profile it says opthomologist..

relist this question please... respnse taking too long

Sorry we keep missing each other online.....
Let me go over your questions in order:
1. Some nerve damage is reversible, but once the nerve tissue has died nothing can be done to regain function. That is why it is so important to stop whatever is causing the damage, say compression to the nerve, as soon as possible.
2. Usually, left untreated, damage to a nerve will get worse over time.
3. There are billions and billions of causes for headaches. I am glad that you have mentioned them to your neurologist as he is the best trained person to deal with them. Are these headaches related to your MRI findings? They may be....but the best person to answer that question is your doctor.
Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick

he has not said anything about my headaches, he seems to be paying attention to my arm leg and neck problem... the mri is for the neck and back suspected nerve damage...

i also notice that if i move my eyes side to side it can start a headache.. which i hv an apt for an eye dr this fri ...

i have a headache now that has lasted all day it is achey and sometiems produced quick pain that make me squint then it goes away.. and if i touch the top of my head w pressure it makes the headache worse.. i also woke up w a sore tight neck from how i was sleeping and thought maybe the headache today was from this.. curious to know why i am getting frequent headaches ... if it can be from my neck problem

It is possible that your headaches can be brought on by your neck problem. As you know, billions of things can bring on a headache.
I'm glad you are going to see an ophthalmologist to make sure your eyes are not contributing to your symptoms. Who knows, perhaps a simple change in eyeglass strength can help :)
I believe that your neurologist is working on your arm and leg issues as those are the most important things to take care of first...
Does this make sense to you?
As a person who has accepted over 160 of the 218 questions she has posted I'm sure that you don't need to be told how to press the positive feedback button or how to leave a tip :-)
Have a good day and let me know if I can do anything else to assist you...which, of course, I am happy to do even after the excellent feedback you are wanting to give me lol!

i do get occasional blurred type vision mainly in my left eye.. where i have to blink a few times to clear it up... its not crazy blurry but it is noticeable.. besides that i can see fine.. never had to wear glasses... this has been going on .. on and off for almost a year..

i do get occasional blurred type vision mainly in my left eye.. where i have to blink a few times to clear it up... its not crazy blurry but it is noticeable.. besides that i can see fine.. never had to wear glasses... this has been going on .. on and off for almost a year.. sometimes is feels as tho the left eye is dry or has something in it but it doesn't... i seem to have a crap load of all different symptoms... any specific test i can ask the eye dr for regarding this issue to know if something more dangerous is occuring?

Well It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.
It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.
When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.
Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.
The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.
Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.
Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.
This home therapy should help with this intermittent blurred vision you are experiencing.
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD