Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I'm a male and I have a lump in my pubic area the size of a

Hi...
I'm a male and I have a lump in my pubic area the size of a bean. It's located about an inch and a bit above the base of my penis and just below the abdomen. It's been there for over a month now. It's painless and hasn't grown much if at all.
What could it be?
Thanks.
RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

The most likely cause for this painless bump is an inflamed lymph node.

RickMD :

It could also be a benign growth such as a lympoma.

RickMD :

Another thought is a inflamed hair follicule/cyst.

RickMD :

In any event it does not sound like anything serious from what you have posted. That being said, the best way to get to the bottom of exactly what is going on is to have a doctor examine it.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

RickMD :

I cannot see anything that you are typing. Our chat system may not be working well at the moment. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:
RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : The most likely cause for this painless bump is an inflamed lymph node.
RickMD : It could also be a benign growth such as a lipoma.
RickMD : Another thought is a inflamed hair follicle/cyst.
RickMD : In any event it does not sound like anything serious from what you have posted. That being said, the best way to get to the bottom of exactly what is going on is to have a doctor examine it.
RickMD : Does this make sense to you?
RickMD : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I needed more detail in your answer. It has been really scary for me to have this lump and I mostly worried about cancer. I also wanted to know why it has taken so long to go away.
Matt,
I very, very much doubt that this bump is cancer. I would but that worry out of your mind.
All the various, benign, reasons for the bump that I discussed could easily be present for a month or more.
I would love to give you more detail about what this bump is but, as I am sure you can understand without being able to examine you and actually touch the lump (which is tough to do online....) I can't tell you much more.
One thing that I can, however, tell you is that the chances of this bump being a cancer, from the data you have provided in your post, is very, very, very small.
Have a doctor check it out but in the meantime don't panic. I am sure everything will turn out to be OK.
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Matt,
I was just thinking about your lump and wondering what the doctor found. I hope that everything is OK and you are doing better.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I went for an ultrasound and was informed that it's a lipoma.
I was told it's benign and does not need to be removed ASAP.
Any advice in this regard?
Matt,
I'm glad to hear that it is nothing serious.
As long as the lump is not bothering you then it is perfectly OK to leave it alone.
If, however, it is a bother then you can consult with a surgeon who can cut it out without difficulty.
Does this make sense to you?
Have a good day.
Dr. Rick MD FACS