Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Good afternoon I have lyme disease and take doxcycline 200

Good afternoon

I have lyme disease and take doxcycline 200 mg twice a day.

Also, I had a miscarriage a couple days ago, and had a D and C yesterday afternoon at 4 pm. I received IV sedation, and also through IV I got zantac, reglan, potossin and ancef 2 gram.

I am now also taking methergine every 6 hrs.

So, today I will take the doxy twice a day and the methergine.

I will also take ibuprofen.

My question is, can I also take valtrex? I have herpetic withlow in my right index finge and it is in full force today.....super itchy and swollen. I was wondering if it is safe to take valtrex 500 mg twice a day with the doxy, methergine and ibuprofen.....and with all the iv mediines I took yesterday.

Worried about interactions.

Thanks :)

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Yes. It is safe to take the valtrex with the other medications you have listed.

RickMD :

There are no negative interactions between these drugs.

RickMD :

Just to be safe, of course, you should make sure that your primary care MD knows about all the medications you are taking.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

RickMD :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : Yes. It is safe to take the valtrex with the other medications you have listed.
RickMD : There are no negative interactions between these drugs.
RickMD : Just to be safe, of course, you should make sure that your primary care MD knows about all the medications you are taking.
RickMD : Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?
RickMD : I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)
RickMD : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Please accept my apololgies for the problems we are experiencing with the chat system this morning. I am still here if you have any further questions or concerns.