How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 12816
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 71 years of age and my semen is discoloured, it's dark

This answer was rated:

My name is ***** ***** 71 years of age and my semen is discoloured, it's dark brown to redish, your comments please.
How long have you had this problem?

Did you see a doctor about this particular problem?

Do you have any pain?

Have you had any treatment for this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Had the problem for about 12 months.

Been to the doctor and had tests as advise.

No pain.

No treatment.

Thank you:

I'm happy to hear that these tests were all normal. The dark discoloration can be caused by a low-grade chronic infection of the prostate. Even with all the tests normal, some physicians would consider treating you with 2-4 weeks of an antibiotic to see if the symptoms improved.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your help, i will see my GP in the near future.

If you have not been checked by a urologist (specialist), this would also be a very reasonable next step.
Family Physician and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you