Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Can one smoke while taking prozac?

can one smoke hash while...
can one smoke hash while taking prozac?
12/28/2012
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello from JA
There are no well studies interactions according to FDA prescribing information.

However, this does not mean that there are no interactions.

Anyone with depression, etc...is playing with fire with hashish.
Also there could be interactions with prozac...not really known.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert. Other wise please choose a 3, 4 or 5 rating [smiley face or accept], But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated. Your satisfaction is my goal, along with the best information.

i need to know what are the bad effects that could/might happen.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
There have been reports of acute Psychosis,hallucinations and rarely tachycardia while combining Prozac and Cannabis.Further both Prozac and THC are plasma bound and the body preferentially excretes the prozac over the Cannabis metabolites thus reducing its efficacy.Motor coordination is affected by both substances so activities like driving should be avoided.Absolute contraindication would be MAOI antidepressant use while smoking pot.There are a lot of reports(not studies) which indicate no real interaction between the prozac and Cannabis.
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Hello from JA
I have noticed a poor service rating from you.

In fact the interaction has not been looked at in clinical trials.
So what happens to you is largely unpredictable.

You should not do it as I stated above.

I will work with you until you are satisfied on the question, but poor service simply rates me negatively

Here is a very interesting usa today write up on this.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/spotlight/2001-01-24-tyson.htm

Please read it carefully and you will see that the word is still out on exact interactions, but that there are very possible negative interactions. It says what some of these might be.

Get back to me as needed.
Please rate a positive to reverse your negative rating of me.
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor