Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What benefits are fish oil pills when a person has

fibromyalzia . Also how...
What benefits are fish oil pills when a person has fibromyalzia . Also how much should a person take daily. Also have you heard or done studies on Kava , it comes in a liquid, pill or powder form. I understand it is made from a root and is very popular in Hawaii for pain. Thank you, ***** ***** ***@******.***
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/24/2012
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Dr. Joseph E. Pizzorno, Jr., a naturopathic doctor and author of "The Clinician's Handbook of Natural medicine has shown that Siberian ginseng and licorice root are helpful in fibromyalgia.

RickMD :

Boswella is good for joint pain and stiffness and wintergreen oil, applied to the skin, can soothe muscle aches and pains.

RickMD :

While fish oil has not been specifically indicated in fibromyalgia as a dietary supplement it is good for your heart and skin and can help to reduce swelling and inflammation in some cases.

RickMD :

There is no specific dosage for fish oil but 1 to 2 capsules (or tbsp) should be good. Dosages up to 3 grams a day have been found to be safe.

RickMD :

Kava is very helpful in promoting mental relaxation, decreasing anxiety and insomnia and, as such, has been found to be useful in fibromyalgia I would recommend kava as an adjunct to your other natural treatments.

RickMD :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

What other vitamins should a person take after being diagnosed with fibromyalgia

Customer:

yes it does ,

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

RickMD :

Have healthy and Happy Holiday Season.

Oops. I missed your last question:
A regular multivitamin is a good idea. I like Centrum Silver.
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

I am Dr. Thomas, MD, board certified in internal medicine and integrative medicine, so I cover a lot of ground and will be happy to help you with your question. We can correspond back and forth as needed.

I will either give you an answer right away or have questions for you. Either way, use reply to expert until you are ready to rate the answer: Please note that answers for information and education only.

Please remember that we are only paid for positive ratings and bonuses and this helps us to help you. Please do not click a 1 or 2 [negative] rating as this only negatively rates the expert helping you.

There is indeed evidence that fish oil helps in fibromyalgia, and it is preliminary.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20090445

There are no specific citations really showing siberian ginseng to be helpful or licorice root as far as studies. The amounts of licorice root to have anti-inflamatory effect also create the danger of hyper adrenalism.

Inflammtory cytokines that are elevated in FM patients [http://ebm.rsmjournals.com/content/234/2/232.short} are supressed by fish oil, ginger and turmeric.

Kava can not safely be recommended, it has liver toxic alkaloids in it and several health individuals have had liver failure from it. Only under professional supervision with this one.

While the final word is out, there are known toxins demonstrated.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22441424

http://www.webmd.com/balance/stress-management/tc/kava-topic-overview

This type of treatment is really not just self help. And there are now doctors trained in the evidence based application of such therapies.

You can find them in various locations.

Here for example.

www.functionalmedicine.org

www.holisticmedicine.com

Let me know if you have further questions. If you have any concerns just use reply to expert until you are ready to rate a positive for your satisfaction..

Please click on one of the positive ratings [smiley faces]: the only way we are compensated for time and expertise. If you are not done or satisfied, use reply to expert [not poor/negative]. Come back anytime. Bonuses are great…but your satisfaction is my goal.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas

Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD